starting strength gym

Thread: Squat check 220#

Default Squat check 220#

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I worked up to 230x5 but had problems with hip flexor pain. Worked with the TUBOW and focused on knees out and hip drive. Hips feel ok but my low back is feeling very tight after sets. Not extremely painful, just uncomfortably tight. I'm also trying to focus on lumbar extension but it just stays very flat throughout.

Focusing on hip drive is causing my ass to rise before my back. Too much of a problem here? Will establishing back angle sooner help?

Your browser is deprecated. Please upgrade. - YouTube

5'10" - 160#
    DL - 275x5
    Squat - 230x5

Is this the video you wanted to link to?

It looks a bit loose and there's some swaying motion in the bottom position. Can't put my finger on it though – a proper SS coach probably can.

One thing I notice is that you're breaking at your hips first. Unlock your knees and hips at the same time.

You're a bit high on some reps and your back looks a bit bendy in the bottom. Perhaps you need to adjust your stance. Have your tried wider/more narrow and with your feet in other angles?

Sorry if that doesn't help a lot but I'm sure someone else will come along and give you better pointers.

Scott, what has your progression been like prior to this? If you're doing steady LP then you shouldn't have any pain. Your body should be adjusting to the workload.

Since you mentioned TUBOW, I'm sure you've watched this video, but see it again:

Few things I'm seeing:
    1. Your knees seem to have excessive forward travel as you don't stop them from coming forward as you keep coming down. I may be completely wrong here, it's hard to tell with the camera angle.
    2. You're not reaching depth. Drop your hips another few inches - do this with LIGHTER weight. Don't just pick up 220# again and try to increase ROM!
    3. Your back tends to bend at the bottom, watch rep #4 & 5 as it's really exacerbated there. You're also slightly good morning the weight on the way back up (see rep #5). You're doing the right thing by going up with your hips, but you CAN'T let your upper body fall while you're doing that.

So several questions for you:
    1. Do you feel like you're rolling on your foot from your heels to your toes? Although I've found the Adidas Powerlift shoes you're wearing to be a bit squishy, they should be fine for the weight.
    2. Are you tight/bracing the entire way? Although you're not going down violently fast, it feels like when you go down too quickly the kinetic energy of the bar wants to keep dragging your upper body down, and your musculature isn't able to stop it. You might benefit from going a little slower and working your technique.

JMHO

I starting LP about a month and a half ago at about 155 squat and 175 dead lift. My dead lift has been very smooth up to 275 and my body feels great after dead lifting. I hoped my squat would follow but I will be keeping around 220 for now to improve form.

I did notice that reps 1&2 felt better than 4&5. I see my hips going up first, but I feel like everything is tight. I'll tape again tonight from a more rearward angle. The shoes are new to me. They feel fine. No complaints. I don't feel like my weight goes forward, but it does look that way.

Thanks for the feedback.

Two more videos, hopefully a better angle. TUBOW in place for both, nudged it a hair on a trip if the heavier weight - enough to be concerned? I widened my stance a bit and my hip flexors felt better.

Still getting some tightness in my low back though. I noticed a little shakiness coming out of the hole in the heavier weight. Does it look like I'm losing back tension?

My eyes are pinned to the floor, but my head looks raised. Am I lifting my head and chest to much?

Any other form issues? Thanks for the feedback, criticism welcome. And no, my dog doesn't bother me. I don't notice him there and he knows to stay away.

Squat check 135x5 3.25 - YouTube

Squat check 205x5 3.25 - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Tomlinson View Post
    Two more videos, hopefully a better angle. TUBOW in place for both, nudged it a hair on a trip if the heavier weight - enough to be concerned? I widened my stance a bit and my hip flexors felt better.

Still getting some tightness in my low back though. I noticed a little shakiness coming out of the hole in the heavier weight. Does it look like I'm losing back tension?

My eyes are pinned to the floor, but my head looks raised. Am I lifting my head and chest to much?

Any other form issues? Thanks for the feedback, criticism welcome. And no, my dog doesn't bother me. I don't notice him there and he knows to stay away.

Squat check 135x5 3.25 - YouTube

Squat check 205x5 3.25 - YouTube
    Back looks good to me, but I do see this is lower weight. To be honest with you, I can nit-pick here and there, but overall it looks good. The lateral movement of the knee away from the wood was a little disconcerting, but couldn't see what was happening from the angle. Your depth changes a little rep to rep and the angle isn't great for judging depth, but unless you're competing, it's not bad. You pretty much know what you need to work on, so I say just keep practicing. Keep at it.

Do you jump straight to 205 from 135 normally? Do you do any more warmups? More reps = more practice = better grooved technique.

Looking for a re-check. The felt better - any thing but our small I can adjust?

Squat check 210# 3.29 - YouTube

starting strength coach development program
    1. You never hit depth.

2. Your thoracic is far too loose. You need to squeeze it about 500% harder than what it is now. "Big chest" "proud chest" "shoulder blades together" and "bend the bar around your shoulders" are all cues... pick the one that works.

3. Your back angle is too vertical. Point your nipples at the floor. This isn't going to work as well if you don't fix #2, though.

4. You're bent over from checking your feet. Stand up, get the weight over the midfoot.

5. Speaking of, toes need to go out about 5 degrees more.

6. You're loose after the first descent, let alone the first rep. SQUEEZE HARDER, FUCKER.