starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Form Check

Default Squat Form Check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello everyone. So I've been doing the program for a couple months now and thankfully I've been making progress but now that the weights are getting heavier on my squat I was hoping to get some feedback on my squat form. Any advice would be much appreciated! I attached 3 videos from my last squat workout, i apologize in advance if it's not ideal. Some other information, im about 5ft 7in at about 185-190 pounds and I'm lifting 175 in these sets.
    Squat Form Back - YouTube
    Squat Form Side - YouTube
    Squat Form 45 - YouTube

I have a few things that concern me but I wanted to mention them because I'm not sure how big of issues they are.
    1) In the video filming from the back, on some of my reps my right knee appears to come inward, how big of an issue is this and would narrowing my stance help with this?
    2) In the video filming from the side, I sometimes shift my weight onto my toes and am not sure how big of an issue this is or how to fix it either. I'm also worried about my depth if it's too high or low.
    3) I'm also worried about how much my lower back is rounding at the bottom. Some reps it seems ok but others it looks like it could be an issue.

Again these are just a few things that I saw but any feedback on anything in my form would be much appreciated!
    Last edited by hani1994; 03-25-2017 at 09:24 AM.

Yes, definitely narrow your stance. Your feet should be shoulder/hip width.

Your knees are tracking inside your feet on the way up, and this may, in part, be due to the overly wide stance. It's hard to keep your knees shoved that far out.

Your depth is questionable, a little high most of the time. Bringing your stance in and keeping knees out should help.

Yes, sometimes you're on your toes. I suspect because you're bending over to point your chest at the floor, and this results in a forward bar path, which takes you onto your toes. Set your back angle/point chest to floor by shoving your hips back from the outset. At the same time, knees forward and out, and knee travel should stop about 1/3 way down.

You're a little loose through the torso during the squat. Bigger breath, lift elbows and chest slightly, then brace your abs/erectors as hard as you can. Now comes the difficult part. You have to hold that pressure throughout the rep. Try that and see if it helps with your back flexion/extension.

So, bring in your stance, get much tighter/braced, and shove your hips back to set the back angle.

Lastly, consider squat shoes. They're a good investment.

Thank you very much for the feedback, I should be squatting later today so I'll definitely keep all of that in mind!