starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift difficulty maintaining contact with my shins

Default Deadlift difficulty maintaining contact with my shins

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Last weeks pull was 5x345 for a PR.

Having read the book, I know I'm supposed to keep the bar in contact with my legs the entire way up, but I'm having difficulty doing this, especially the first few inches on my last rep, on the supinated side. Additional note: I pull in my adidas Power Perfect II's.

It is my understanding that the bar is supposed to be slightly behind the shoulders at the start, and that the Lats in isometric contraction are what are supposed to maintain this angle, and this keeps them against the legs. My Lats are a strong point for me, and I've tried deliberately concentrating on them during the pull with no improvement.

If I were to submit a video of today's pull, what would be an appropriate angle? How far should the camera be from the ground?

On a possibly different note, lately, my sticking point has been the last inch or two to lockout. Any suggestions on fixing these issues? Additional note: I pull in my adidas Power Perfect II's. I know they add a bit to the range of motion, but I really like how stable I feel in them, and Rip himself says he prefers a little bit of heel when deadlifting for more quads in the lift.

A video would be helpful. From the sticky on filming form checks:

DEADLIFT
    1) Show your set-up. Show your set-up. SHOW YOUR FUCKING SET-UP.

2) Best if filmed from the side or the front quarter. We need to see where you put your feet / hands / knees, and this can be done from a high side-shot.
    TomC: Make sure that your head and feet are in the frame at all times. This means you may have to back up a good way from whoever is lifting.

3) We need to see the entire bar path. That means we need to see the close end of the bar for the entire range of the rep.

4) Show your set-up.

Agreed with manveer, a video should help a lot.

But I am guessing your problem maybe that the bar starting position is slightly in front of mid foot. I had a similar issue when I first started. Everything went to shit for me if I started in front of mid foot.