starting strength gym

Thread: Squat and deadlift form checks

Question Squat and deadlift form checks

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi everyone. I've been back at SS for a month after about 6 month break. I'm back at my old numbers again after starting from scratch again.

Any help appreciated on my form. Last year I got great feedback from here and figured I should do some form checking again.

Squat, set 3/3 - 90kg/198lbs
    Thoughts: Missing a little bit of depth, slight goodmorningey and some unnecessary wobbling

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DYlY5rkU-s

Squat, set 3/3 - 92,5kg/204lbs
    Thoughts: Depth is now better compared to the previous video, the third rep hitting the rack not necessary though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqxrtWQVtxE

Deadlift, 105kg/231lbs
    Thoughts: First two reps (especially first) seems okay, reps 3-4 at least I should be squeezing my chest up harder I think to reduce the rounding on my back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkX_CEW0UxE

Deadlift first:

The first rep was okay in terms of your back, the other three were progressively too round. So, yes, bigger breath, brace abs harder then squeeze the chest up as hard as you can. This will not feel comfortable.

First rep especially, you have a little knee dip/hip dip as you start the pull. Create tension in the system, then drive your feet into the ground to start the pull. At the top, finish your hip extension.

Finally, looks like you might be on your heels a wee bit. Balance should be over the midfoot.

Squat:

Not too bad. Your depth is borderline/touch high in a few of the 92.5 reps. It's a little hard to tell with the angle in the video. Get tighter at the top throughout your whole torso and really hold that tension as you descend. That should help with the wobbles (rep 3 - where you did get below parallel). Make sure you keep your knees shoved out.

Keep working at it.
    Last edited by Mia Inman; 04-07-2017 at 07:58 AM.

Thanks for your input Mia! I've been resetting both, squat and deadlift.

Squat has been going well again after reading up on breathing and bracing some more. I think I've stabilized most of the wobbling - still some good morning going on though.

I'm at 97,5kg on squat, which I've already cleaned twice before today's session, but after previous two times I've had some lower back pain for few days. I had some rolling bar problem too for not securing the bar properly.

Here's today's squat session's last work set. First rep seems to be bit of dive-bombing it, but I think I'm hitting the depth properly now. Bar felt secure too and I think bracing my core took the most effort through the squats.

3x5x97,5kg, set 3 - YouTube

Do you guys have any cues I should try to use to minimize the good morning -like movement on some of these reps? Or anything else you spot I didn't mention?