starting strength gym

Thread: squat bar placement trouble

Default squat bar placement trouble

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    For some reason my ellbow and bar position is fucked up like this in every set.
    When I unrack the bar I feel good but after rep 2 or so I want to finish the set as fast as possible just to rack the bar because it feels scary.
    Also my right shoulder blade hurts when I do a rowing motion.
    Squat 135kg - YouTube

I can see there's a big difference to your right and left elbow and arm position. I've honestly never seen that problem, not sure how you correct it. Is your grip the exact same placement from each other? Have you tried warming up your shoulders before squatting if that helps? I hope you get someone more qualified to answer this.

Your chest is not up.

Your right wrist comes into some slight flexion and your forearm isn't perpendicular with the bar, so it starts to slide down your scap. Your right elbow flares into internal shoulder rotation quite a bit compared to the left, probably in an attempt to hold the bar against your shoulder. Try to extend your right wrist more and get your forearm to press into the bar. Really, it just needs to match your left side, which seems to be A-ok. Maybe work on some external rotation in your right shoulder so it doesn't flare so much under the weight.

I've seen this problem with my wife. Her problem was that the bar wasn't across her back in the same exact place and was slightly skewed. This isn't weight dependent, it's your setup. Tape yourself with an empty bar and check if the problem persists. If yes, have a friend take a picture of the empty bar directly on your back when you unrack, just so you have feedback and can adjust what you're feeling to what's happening.

Hope that's all it is... Good luck

Actually for the past 8 squat sessions or so I've filmed myself from behind on every single warmup and work set. I've spent 35 min on one of those days to just unrack 100kg and racking it again so I could check my bar placement on camera. It doesn't really improve. I already realized those things @Blochowiak and I've been really trying but it just keeps being asymetrical.

I think I have some kind of imbalance (muscles, skeleton, flexibility... I don't even know what kind of imbalance).

My most recent squats:

https://youtu.be/O375MGXxJHE
    Last edited by zar9star; 05-01-2017 at 02:42 AM.

starting strength coach development program
    That video makes it look much much better. Don't see any issues there.