starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squat and Power Clean check... Thanks!!

Default Squat and Power Clean check... Thanks!!

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Just reset my squat after I realized how verticle my torso was... and I'm sure there was plenty more.

What I see is my knees come in a little on a few reps, my thorastic spine goes into flexation after R2, and I'm looking straight down... Am I kinda right? Thanks for all the help everyone.

Squat, last set at 185: Squat 14Apr17 - YouTube

Power Clean, last set at 155: Power Clean 14Apr17 - YouTube

For your squats: Bar looks like it may be too high, ensure that it is directly below the spine of the scapula. Stance looks a touch wide, bring your heels in so they are at about shoulder width. Get your knees out and set by the first 1/2 of your descent and hold them there as you sit back into the bottom. Set your back with a "proud chest" before you unrack the bar and hold it throughout the set. Drive your ass up out of the hole, like the weight is directly over your hips. Let's see what they look like after that.

Will do, Thanks! That's not really what I expected, so I'm glad I posted it. Do you recommend going up in weight? Or keeping it at 185?

I don't necessarily agree with those points, what do you mean by "proud chest" Dujin? Let me give you my perspective and perhaps you resonate with them: the biggest thing is that you have too much of a vertical back angle as you say, and I think the fault of that is that you are thinking chest up/proud chest. Let me prove it to you, as you continue the descent and you try to maintain your chest up you come onto your heels as a result. If you look closely at the video you can see your toes come up.

To me, and I probably know even less than you do but anothers perspective could help, it looks dangerous sticking your chest up like you do before moving down because for a while there your lower back is in hyperextension. Your depth looks good and in my opinion your bottom position looks good too.

If I were you I would try to:
    1. STOP think chest up: Think chest and ribcage down and focus on bracing. To me that seems most important to you and when that is fixed I would try to focus on another cue. Too many cues at once is dangerous imo
    Last edited by SSDino; 04-17-2017 at 04:50 AM.

I didn't see over extension, bur if it's there then I am wrong. I like "rib cage down" more than "chest down" to fix it. It seems to me that chest down could lead to some thoracic rounding.

Yeah I agree, rib cage down is better. Think I was thinking of the "point your nipples to the ground"

Here is the what I've got for this past session. In accordance with forum rules, squats were bad enough that I can diagnose the obvious (too high) so I didn't post.

Here is my deadlift though, which I think went alright at 315.
    Deadlift 18 Apr 17 - YouTube

Why are you violently jerking yourself in order to tighten your back?

Like said above, work on following the five step DL process and bringing it together, and not jerking it all into one motion. Slow it down a bit and get tight and chest up before each lift, and don't move the bar

starting strength coach development program
    I think my form improved , but in a couple reps I definitely put my back into overflexation. What else do you have for me?

Thanks!

21 Apr 17 Squat - YouTube

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast