starting strength gym
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Form check, low bar squat. Low back hyper extended?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I think I am starting to get the hang of the forward lean a bit more. A slightly wider stance, pointing toes out more and maybe having the bar slightly lower on the back makes it easier to keep my balance when leaning forward.

I know there is still some movement in the spine. Is it too much still? It at least feels better.

How wide is your stance? It should be heels at shoulder/hip width.

First rep - don't look back between your feet, gaze a few feet in front of you.

When you take the bar out of the rack, bring your feet together to a regular stance. With a wide stance it's going to be more difficult to keep your balance as you unrack heavier weights. And for heaven's sake, don't re-rack the bar in a lunge position! Walk forward until you hit the uprights then drop down - both feet under you.

You're borderline on depth. Another inch.

Okay, that's the nitpicking over. Onto the overextension....

Slow the video down to 1/4 speed. Watch your hips/lower back at the initiation of the squat. You immediately overextend your lumbar spine - you're almost reaching back and up with your hips. Watch your hips as you initiate the ascent - same thing. As mentioned above, squeeze harder and hold it throughout. This applies to your warmup sets as well as your worksets. Starting with the empty bar, squeeze as hard as you can and hold it, to get that fixed into your head/body. I know this is hard, I've struggled with it as well.

I think your back angle is pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mia Inman View Post
    Slow the video down to 1/4 speed. Watch your hips/lower back at the initiation of the squat. You immediately overextend your lumbar spine - you're almost reaching back and up with your hips.
    I think this is what I don't understand. What you call immediate overextension of lumbar spine, I simply see as me pushing back my hips. So I'm back to my initial question from the very first post - how do I push back the hips without overextending lumbar spine? Because I feel like I can't do it any other way. Do you have a cue for me to keep the lumbar spine in place whilst pushing hips back? What I tell myself now is simply to push the butt back while at the same time pushing the knees out. Should I maybe focus on pushing butt *down* rather than back?

Maybe I should mention that I just generally have a lot of anterior pelvic tilt - a neutral back position for me is pretty curved. Also, my top position when I am just standing with the bar on my back is not my natural position - I am actively clenching my glutes/tucking my pelvis to keep the back more neutral and remove stress from lower back. So maybe that is what makes it look like I am overextending when I initiate the squat?

Thanks for your patience....
    Last edited by opf; 04-26-2017 at 07:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by opf View Post
    I think this is what I don't understand. What you call immediate overextension of lumbar spine, I simply see as me pushing back my hips. So I'm back to my initial question from the very first post - how do I push back the hips without overextending lumbar spine? Because I feel like I can't do it any other way. Do you have a cue for me to keep the lumbar spine in place whilst pushing hips back? What I tell myself now is simply to push the butt back while at the same time pushing the knees out. Should I maybe focus on pushing butt *down* rather than back?

Maybe I should mention that I just generally have a lot of anterior pelvic tilt - a neutral back position for me is pretty curved. Also, my top position when I am just standing with the bar on my back is not my natural position - I am actively clenching my glutes/tucking my pelvis to keep the back more neutral and remove stress from lower back. So maybe that is what makes it look like I am overextending when I initiate the squat?

Thanks for your patience....
    If your natural (rather than neutral) back position is overextended, we do not want that when you squat. Look at the bottom of the squat. Your spine looks to be fairly neutral at that point. So, you're going from overextended to fairly neutral, then back to overextended. We want the neutral position all the way down and up.

When you begin pushing your hips back, you're momentarily keeping your chest facing forward/up - resulting in an overarched spine. Perhaps try focusing on your initial movement being to point your chest at the floor. If you can do this, while also thinking vertical bar path (otherwise you may just fall forward), your hips will automatically go back. That may help.

Also, I think you can get more braced in your torso, which will also help. You could try wearing a belt to reinforce this cue. Even a soft belt.

It might help if you have someone to yell at you to get tighter. Are you anywhere near an SSC?
    Last edited by Mia Inman; 04-26-2017 at 09:19 AM.

Perhaps try focusing on your initial movement being to point your chest at the floor. If you can do this, while also thinking vertical bar path (otherwise you may just fall forward), your hips will automatically go back. That may help.

Gotcha. Will try this on friday. Thanks.

I am not sure what you mean by SSC, but I assume it's something like a Starting Strength camp/center/coach? I live in Copenhagen, Denmark, so I don't think so! Anyway, if you think I am not getting tight enough, I'll make a conscious effort next time to brace as hard as possible. I think I am forgetting it because there are so many other cues to remember, so I just end up breathing but not bracing.
    Last edited by opf; 04-26-2017 at 09:25 AM.

Yes, I meant SSC.

Getting braced hard enough is difficult for some to learn. It's NOT comfortable. In fact, if you feel comfortable, you're not tight enough :-)

Good luck!

yeah, and with me I think it's also about not really getting the "push hips backs" thing. After practicing pointing nipples to floor at home, I'm just now starting to understand that pushing hips back or hinging at the hips is a dynamic motion involving the whole torso, not just the actual hips - so when hips go back, chest goes toward floor. I'm fairly certain that I get it now - think I might need to start the squat in a more forward leaning position with bar lower on the back. Will be uploading video tomorrow.

Perhaps try focusing on your initial movement being to point your chest at the floor. If you can do this, while also thinking vertical bar path (otherwise you may just fall forward), your hips will automatically go back.
    I am having a similar issue, and this helped me form a better mental picture of how the movement should initiate. Any similar cue I could use on the ascent to prevent immediately going into overextension?

Quote Originally Posted by opf View Post
    yeah, and with me I think it's also about not really getting the "push hips backs" thing. After practicing pointing nipples to floor at home, I'm just now starting to understand that pushing hips back or hinging at the hips is a dynamic motion involving the whole torso, not just the actual hips - so when hips go back, chest goes toward floor. I'm fairly certain that I get it now - think I might need to start the squat in a more forward leaning position with bar lower on the back. Will be uploading video tomorrow.
    You've got it! Yes, your whole torso is acting as a steel rod. Hinging your hips will rotate the whole rigid torso towards the floor, and point the chest toward the floor.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by RicardoRivero View Post
    I am having a similar issue, and this helped me form a better mental picture of how the movement should initiate. Any similar cue I could use on the ascent to prevent immediately going into overextension?
    Perhaps keep your chest pointed to the floor, while driving the hips up - just don't turn it into a good morning.

You might also thinking about driving from the midfoot "through" the hips, or driving "through the hips/lower belly".

Honestly, bracing harder as you go through the entire movement will be one of the best cues. If you can really focus on that pressure in the diaphragm as you drive your hips up, that may take your attention away from lifting your chest.

Lastly, overextension on the ascent is sometimes because people are trying to drive the bar up. I tell them not to worry about the bar. The bar will go up just fine if they have a rigid torso and drive the hips up. The rigid torso will allow transfer of force from the hips to the bar.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast