starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Learning the squat ( form check )

Default Learning the squat ( form check )

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Have been doing only high bar until now.
    Wanted to start SS.
    I'm experiencing constant low back pain.
    Having trouble at the bottom position - back rounding.
    Also my hips are starting to hurt when I shove my knees outward when I'm in the bottom.

My biggest concern in that my back is rounding and I have no idea how to fix it. I've been actively stretching everything from my waist down for a month now and still have no results. I don't use bigger weights because the low back pain I'm experiencing is scaring me. My PR High bar was 220lbs but I stopped doing that because of the low back pain.
    Recently I got interested in lifting again, found about SS and here I am.

Low Bar Squat in learning (20/04/17) - YouTube
    Last edited by Iksan Ismailov; 04-20-2017 at 12:20 PM.

There are a lot of things not right with what you have presented: 1) Read the stickies about form checks. 2) Likely of most concern to you, you are not holding your back in neutral extension. You are flexing and extending your back throughout each rep. 3) You are holding your knees back for the entire rep. See in your video how your shanks/shins remain vertical for the duration of each rep? 4) You keep your chest/torso vertical.

How to fix this. 1) You need to take your breath and Valslva hard/brace your abs very hard. 2) Start your descent by breaking your knees and hips at the same time; this means push your knees forward and shove your hips back, at the same time. 3) Immediately after you break your knees and hips, lean over and point your chest to the ground. This is a bending at the hips/waist, not your low back. The whole torso gets leaned over; do not try to keep your chest up/vertical (which is what you are currently doing, which is leading to over-extension/arching of your spine). 4) As you descend, get your knees over your toes by about 1/3 to 1/2 way down, then set them there for until you are about 1/2 way back up. 5) Put some weight on the bar. The empty bar is way too light for you.

It's actually a little difficult to keep the back completely flat when the weight is very light. You may need to add some weight to the bar to work on this, but use your best judgment if you're in pain.

Your shins are too vertical. Shove your knees forward at the beginning of the rep, and at the same time, shove your hips back. Right now, you're doing the latter, but not the former. How to use the TUBOW

Now, (maybe with a little weight on the bar) slow down. Take a big breath, brace your abs and erectors as hard as you can, and descend slowly (keeping those erectors squeezed as hard as you can) until just before you go into flexion. Keep doing that, and try and get a little lower every time while maintaining a flat back and proud chest (Identifying and Correcting Thoracic Spinal Flexion in the Squat | Bill Hannon). Eventually you'll get to depth, it might take a little while.

I'm assuming your knees are shoved out over your feet.

Lastly, keep your chin down a bit.

Good luck!

Thank you, I will analyze both of your notes.
    Will post another video in a couple of days ( with 45 degree angle this time ^_^ )

Changes:
    1) implemented TUBOW
    2) stared moving knees forward just barely touching the wood
    3) eyes and chin looking down
    4) contracting hard abs, upper and lower back ( chest up + valsalva )
    5) put some weight on the bar ( 2x10kg plates )
    6) Thinking about: Master cue, shoving knees out ( still hard, inside of thighs gets sore ), squeezing erectors, hitting proper depth

Concerns:
    1) is my back angle horizontal enough
    2) am I using hip drive correctly
    3) why do I feel tension in my lower back ( felt tension after the squat session )
    4) can't tell if my low back is still rounding or not
    5) is my neck/eye position correct ( I feel its a bit exaggerated )
    6) is proper depth achieved ( I was concerned about my low back and almost on every rep I was hesitant about going lower )

Low Bar Squat in learning (25/04/17) Part 1 - YouTube Atept 1 Low quality

Low Bar Squat in learning (25/04/17) Part 2 - YouTube Atept 2 Decent quality

Low Bar Squat in learning (25/04/17) Part 3 - YouTube Atept 3 Decent quality with both 45 and 90 degree camera angle
    Last edited by Iksan Ismailov; 04-25-2017 at 11:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dean312 View Post
    Changes:
    1) implemented TUBOW
    2) stared moving knees forward just barely touching the wood
    3) eyes and chin looking down
    4) contracting hard abs, upper and lower back ( chest up + valsalva )
    5) put some weight on the bar ( 2x10kg plates )
    6) Thinking about: Master cue, shoving knees out ( still hard, inside of thighs gets sore ), squeezing erectors, hitting proper depth

Concerns:
    3) why do I feel tension in my lower back ( felt tension after the squat session )
    6) is proper depth achieved ( I was concerned about my low back and almost on every rep I was hesitant about going lower )
    Yes, you're good.

Yes, I think you've got the gist of it.

Probably because you're making it work much harder to hold that isometric contraction than before

A little. Keep working on that holding onto extension as you increase the weight

Yeah, it's a little exaggerated. You don't need to look down between your feet, about 6 feet in front of you is good

I think so. A little hard to tell in some cases. Next time, please set your camera at hip height at the bottom of the squat. That'll give us the best view.

Take a video if you would from the rear. I think your stance might be a little wide.

Much improved, keep working at it.

Changes:
    1) TUBOW removed
    2) camera set at about hip level
    3) different camera angles
    4) concentrated realy hard on bracing ( big belly breath, feel tightness all over my abs and lower back )
    5) less back pain this time

Concerns:
    1) I get a feeling that my knees want to cave in when I'm in the bottom of the squat ( shoving the knees out is still kinda hard, but I think it's stance related, need feedback )
    2) Not sure if my stance is too wide ( I need help in spotting this )
    3) Wrists tend to go from neutral to extension and I end up rolling the bar ( mid set ) when I reset my wrists. This usually happens after the first 1 or 2 reps.
    ( look @ 0:27 - 0:33 in the 45 degree angle video )

4) Are my knees moving the correct way ( after removing the TUBOW I'm not sure )
    5) Should I lock out my hips at the end by squeezing my glutes hard ? ( this pushes my hips forward at the top, just like the deadlift lockout ). At the moment I just hip drive to the top position without any glute squeeze at the top
    6) Bar is moving unevenly ( which can be seen on the rear view videos ), there is an inclination to the left.

Low Bar Squat in learning (27/04/17) - YouTube 45 degree view

Low Bar Squat in learning (27/04/17) Side view - YouTube

Low Bar Squat in learning (27/04/17) Rear view part 1 - YouTube

Low Bar Squat in learning (27/04/17) Rear view part 2 - YouTube
    Last edited by Iksan Ismailov; 04-27-2017 at 10:48 AM.

1) Stance is too wide by about 2 inches in the rear view part 1 video, bring each foot in one inch. This should help your knee position; currently you are not getting your knees out over your toes (width wise), probably b/c of the too wide stance. 2) stop pausing at the bottom; utilize the stretch reflex. 3) Continue working on bracing. You are improving, but still have some work to do. 4) Bring your elbows down closer to your body; think of sticking them in your back pockets and holding them there for the set. This should help your wrist position/bar rolling issue.

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDave View Post
    1) Stance is too wide by about 2 inches in the rear view part 1 video, bring each foot in one inch. This should help your knee position; currently you are not getting your knees out over your toes (width wise), probably b/c of the too wide stance. 2) stop pausing at the bottom; utilize the stretch reflex. 3) Continue working on bracing. You are improving, but still have some work to do. 4) Bring your elbows down closer to your body; think of sticking them in your back pockets and holding them there for the set. This should help your wrist position/bar rolling issue.

Noted. Thanks !

starting strength coach development program
    Looking good! I was wondering about the neck position, looks like you are looking down perhaps a little bit exaggerated? I'm not sure if it's a big deal or not so I don't know if you should put energy to change it. Perhaps someone can confirm.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast