starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Press Check - 120lbs

Default Press Check - 120lbs

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Last set of presses from today's workout. This should be easy for you guys to rip apart but I promise they are worlds better than a week ago.

Press 4/24 - 120lbs - YouTube

Not an SSC, but I have some corrections:

I assume you are performing the press 2.0.

1. Your bounce is coming from the knees on some reps. You may need to flex your quads when you bounce forward, in order to keep the movement in your hips.
    2. On some reps, the bar seems to be too far away from your face when you press it. You need to get under it faster and keep it closer to your face.
    3. Your timing is a bit off on some of the later reps. Try to do the bounce movement with the empty bar before your next press workout and watch for when the bar wants to travel upwards - THAT's when you press it.

Hope you can use these suggestions.

Agree with everything Bavnemand said ... You also want to get your elbows in front of the bar. Your having to fix an extra moment arm there.

in addition to the helpful advice already provided, your wrists are very bent. They should be at about a 10-15 degree angle, so that the bar sits in the heel of your palm, over your vertical forearm (bent wrists create another unnecessary moment arm).

Noted, good call on the bounce coming from my knees, I will try to lock those down next time. I will work on making the adjustments Friday and update. Thanks guys...

Here's an update at 125...

Press 4/28 - 125lbs - YouTube

You need to get tighter, everywhere. Squeeze your quads, abs and glutes very, very hard before starting each rep. Get your elbows forward by about an inch, then squeeze them together (towards the middle of your body).

I have a feeling this will get ripped apart... gave extra focus to staying tight, as far as my elbows go I always feel like they're way out there and then watching it back the look in line with the bar. Have at it...

These are much improved from the ones in the start of this thread. Your wrists are still way too bent, and your elbows should be a touch more forward of the bar at the start position. Also, from this angle you are leaning back before even starting each rep. Try to keep your abs and upper back tighter (tense the abs and squeeze your elbows together in front of you). Keep working on squeezing quads, abs and glutes harder at every session to maintain the necessary tightness.

starting strength coach development program
    Updated from Monday @ 135, keep forgetting to post this. My second set was tough so I kinda went for broke on this. Maybe because I was amping myself up I complete miss the elbow cue on the first two reps, 3-5 you'll see me correct it. Also I think I FINALLY got my wrists right but I'll let you judge.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast