starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Form Check

Default Squat Form Check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    This is my first time posting so I hope this works without any issues.

Here is a set of five at about 270 which is pretty high weight for me. This view on the video shows how messed up the bar path is for me in my squat but I can't seem to get it moving in a vertical line. Any pointers would be appreciated.

4/24/2017 - YouTube

Not an SSC, but I might have some suggestions:

The bar is over your toes, as you might have noticed - have you tried the Master Cue (it took several workouts for me to get the cue to work)? It might be enough to sort it out.

Also - Right now, you are bending over throughout the whole descending movement. You need to bend over sooner, and then keep your back angle constant after you initially bend over.

Just my 2c.

Thanks for that feedback. I really focused on the master cue this morning and saw some bar path improvement. It appears to expose some other issues though. I think my back looks hyperextended to start on a few of the reps and then some but wink on some as well. These are with a much lighter weight, 125 lbs ish.

4/25/2017 - YouTube

Form checks on super light weights are not that helpful, generally. You have most of the same issues on both videos anyway.

One big issue in both videos is that you are not staying tight in your torso on the descent. This should not have been a problem for the light weight set. You need to Valsalva and brace your abs and erectors in isometric contraction better than you are currently displaying. How to do this is in the book and in various articles and videos on this site.

You got (good) advice above for the first video that you were bending over through the entire descent. In he second video, you over-corrected and tried to remain vertical for the entire rep, which lead to the over-extension. Instead, lean over immediately after breaking your knees and hips, and lean over fast enough that your back angle is set by 1/2-2/3 way down, then maintain that back angle for the rest of the descent and beginning of ascent. Keep your entire torso rigid and bend at the hips.

EDIT: Sorry, disregard this post, AtlantaDave is correct in his assessment.
    Last edited by Martin Bavngaard; 04-25-2017 at 09:45 AM.

starting strength coach development program
    Turns out the "book" that comes with the SS app is missing some sections, such as the breathing one. Got myself a hard copy so I'll do a little more study and give it another shot. Thanks again for the feedback