starting strength gym

Thread: Squat form check

Default Squat form check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi everyone,

started SS 2 months ago after 2 years being absent from gym. did some on and off split routine before. I went from squatting 154 to 242. From 176 on I switched my high-bar squat to the low-bar squat which I thought I've been doing right all the time until I started recording myself. I think back angle is a little bit away from 45 degree angle. Past days I have been trying to lean a bit more forward even though it feels awkward.

Did some lighter sets today to check form

176 lbs

198 lbs

242 lbs (first time using a belt, just received it yesterday)

Hope you guys can point out my mistakes on the squat.

Edit: Excuse me for not cutting away the unimportant stuff and camera angle. I will do so in the future
    Last edited by TheRaver; 04-25-2017 at 04:36 PM.

The only good thing about your filming angle is the background.

It's hard to tell anything here but it looks like you might be going a touch too deep and the bar may be a touch high. Please film from a rear 3/4 view at hip height. Then we can see what's going on. Also, do not put your drink bottle right in front of your camera.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg_R View Post
    The only good thing about your filming angle is the background.
    Hahahah, your a legend bro.

Your stronger than me Raver so really I don't think I can give you any pointers, feels wrong to critique you so I'll just let someone with more experience do it instead.

In addition to what Greg_R said, is this supposed to be a low-bar squat? It looks awfully like a high bar squat to me.

The back angle isn't necessarily 45 degrees in the low bar squat, it's whatever your anthropometry gives you. Having said that, your back angle is far too vertical. From the top, hips back more and point your chest at the floor. Your knees are too far forward. (this is all with the caveat that it's hard to see).

On the ascent, drive your hips up, don't lift your chest.

Try and get some of that sorted out, then, as Greg_R noted, video from 45 rear oblique please.

Alright, I'll try to fix it. Seems like the bar should be placed even lower, is that correct? I will try to fix my squat and hopefully post some more and better vids this week. Thanks guys!

starting strength coach development program
    The bar should be placed just under the spine of the scapula, not on top of the spine of the scapula.