starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Low Bar Squat Form Check

Default First Low Bar Squat Form Check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    This is my first time posting a form check. Please nit pick everything. This weight is at 225lbs. I do feel some slight discomfort in my lower back but it's mainly because I work a job that I have to sit in a car for a long time. I've been doing SS for about a month now.

225 SS Squat - YouTube

1) Break your knees and hips at the same time. You are currently pushing your hips back first, then breaking your knees, which results in you taking too long to get your knees in the proper position, and you have some knee slide. Get your knees in place over your toes by about 1/2 way down, then set them in place and finish the descent with your hips. 2) Keep your lower back tighter at the bottom; there's a little flexion happening.

The video is somewhat grainy so it was hard to see some details, such as whether these were to proper depth.

I really appreciate your feedback. I definitely see what you are talking about. Hopefully I will be able to address it tomorrow.

This link is for the same video hopefully in HD. Let me know if it is still grainy and what your thoughts are on depth. Thanks!

225 SS - Low Bar Squat - YouTube

Better video quality. No additional form comments. Let's see what fixing your knees does.

I think I was able to get down moving both my knees and and hips at the same time. I'm not really sure if I was able to stop my knees half way down and finish with my hips. I definitely was losing tightness at the bottom and will continue to work on that.

Here is today's lift at 230lbs.
    230 SS - Low Bar Squat - YouTube

Also I just want to reiderate that I appreciate your time and feedback. Thanks!

Better; still some work to be done. The major issues: 1) Looks like you are squatting high by an inch or two. Turn your toes out a bit more, and make sure you get your knees out over the new toe position. This should create room for you to get to depth. If not, it will have been shown to be a commitment issue. 2) Lean over a bit more right from the top, and brace your torso harder (abs and erectors). 3) Do not look up/raise your head on the ascent; keep your chin tucked. Drive your hips straight up out of the bottom, while maintaining a constant back angle for the first 1/2 of the ascent (keep your chest pointed down longer). You are not using enough hip drive.

Please don't delete videos my friend, it can help out others

I agree with Atlanta I think you should focus on improving your hipdrive, looks like your leading with your chest quite a lot.
    Last edited by SSDino; 04-28-2017 at 04:27 PM.

It's crazy how I don't realize I am lifting my head on the ascent, but I am for sure. I feel like when I am at the bottom, I can't go any further without relaxing. Hopefully turning my toes out will help me get that extra depth. I will focus on hip drive for my next lift. Thanks for the input once again.

Sorry, I deleted the first video because the quality was pore. I reposted the same lift in HD a little further down, since it wouldn't let me edit the initial post. I won't delete the ones I have posted after that.

Okay, this time I took video of 2 warm up lifts and all of my work lifts. I think I was able to fix my problem with lifting my head on the ascent by picking a spot to look at lower than before.

i tried to focus on hip drive and staying tight. Let me know your thoughts.

185 SS - Low Bar Warm-up - YouTube
    225 SS - Low Bar Squat Warm-up - YouTube
    235 SS - Low Bar Squat - YouTube
    235 SS - Low bar squat 2 - YouTube
    235 SS - low bar squat 3 - YouTube

Edit:
    Also after I am racking the 235 I am getting a shooting pain to my left side lower back. I've tweaked it before and the pain doesn't go away. Wondering if I should drop the weights back down, or this is just part of trying to get stronger, or if it's a form issue. I appreciate the feed back!
    Last edited by DP3028; 05-03-2017 at 09:19 AM. Reason: Added comments

starting strength coach development program
    These are looking better. Nice improvement. You should not be getting a shooting pain. I see nothing on your form that would cause it (I only watched the last 2 vids); sometimes the human body is just a pain for no apparent reason. In your next videos, don't edit out the re-racking of the bar; maybe something in that part is causing the pain?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast