starting strength gym

Thread: Back Squat Form Check

Default Back Squat Form Check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey there,

I'm new to the forum. Been lifting somewhat consistently for about a year, pretty much accidentally doing Starting Strength before I knew what it was. As you can see from the link below, I'm 6'2 and most of that is my long legs haha, so I really have never been a fan of squatting. I've changed my form what feels like countless times, foot angle, stance width, forward knee travel, high bar, low bar, mid bar, flats, heels etc... I am trying to adopt Mark Rippitoe's style of squatting now as it feels pretty comfortable. The link shows the last set of a 315x5x5. Things I notice from the video, my depth looks like I am just hitting parallel, could try to get a little bit lower (it is kind of hard to see my hip crease with my sweatpants pockets lol my bad). I also notice that I start leaning over before I break at my knees.

I'd like to hear other opinions on what I should change/work on. Also, sorry in advance for the lower camera angle.

Thanks.

Squat Form - YouTube

I think your toes are pointed out a little too far. They look like they're at 45 degrees, not 25 to 30 degrees. Two options, move your toes in or your heels out.

You're correct, not quite enough depth. Bury 'em a little bit deeper.

You're also correct, you're breaking at the hips quite a bit earlier than at the knees. Break both at the same time. You may have to actively shove your knees forward to make this happen. "Shoving the knees forward/out + vertical bar path" cue can work to get the hips/knees breaking together.

Lastly, you're dive bombing the descent just a bit, and losing a little bit of tightness at the bottom, with resultant knee slide. Keep squeezing hard as you descend. Enjoy the ride :-)

Hey Mia,

I took your advice and have been working on my form. Here is a video from today, last set of a 325x5x5. I have been trying to get the hang of breaking at the knees and the hips at the same time, don't think I have it mastered by any means but I think it has improved. I have turned my toes in probably about 10 degrees, working on this as well (I have rather poor mobility in my left ankle, I dislocated it playing basketball a few years back). Depth I think is a little better and I am trying to descend with more control as well.

I can definitely tell I am going to have to overcome some muscle memory haha. I'd appreciate more feedback!

325x5x5 Form Check - YouTube

Yep, these look pretty good.

Watch your right knee on the ascent, I think it may drift inwards.

Get tighter through your torso and hold it throughout. As you get tired, your hips start to shoot up just a bit, early in ascent. Hips and shoulders go up at the same rate (back angle is maintained), but your hips drive that rate.

Nice work.

Checking in again... what do you think of these? They are a little bit heavier and I notice my back angle does change a little coming out of the hole, is this an acceptable amount? I'm not sure whether it is caused by a lack of torso tightness or descending too vertically for my body anthropometry or something else...

Squats - YouTube

Also, does this form look fine for OHPs?

OHP form - YouTube