starting strength gym

Thread: Press 2.0 form check please!

Default Press 2.0 form check please!

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    My weakest lift, what do you think? Switched to 5x3 on press and it's working better for me.

Press 2.0 50kg 5th set of 3 - YouTube

Maybe an SSC will chime in and correct me, but I see a couple of things:

1. The breath you are taking before each of your reps moves the bar way too much - You are almost already doing a part of the pressing movement when taking in your breath.
    2. It looks like you are not using your big breath of air to tighten your midsection by pushing against your belt. Breathe into your belly, and push out against the belt.
    3. You can get the bar a little closer to your face, both on the ascend and descend.
    4. Maybe I'm nitpicking, but after you unrack the bar, you stand around for around 8 seconds before taking in your breath and initiating the movement. That is, in my opinion, too long when overhead pressing.

Just my 2c.
    Last edited by Martin Bavngaard; 04-29-2017 at 12:02 PM.

Hi, thanks for the comments.

The big breath moving the bar, I do that so it's easier to breathe in, is it really a problem because it might fatigue me?

2nd point, I always try to contract my abs, not consciously push out against the belt.

The other points thank you
    Last edited by HomeBrew; 04-30-2017 at 04:34 AM.

To me it looks like your in an anterior pelvic tilt (I know a little hyperextension is normal when doing the press) when you start the movement and it becomes worse as you lift. That was what I was gonna say and to really try to focus on getting more tight in your midsection would be a good idea, but then looking at Michael Wolf's form: he is in as much hyperextension as you are and he knows what's he is doing. So, good form then?

You need to move the bar up to breath to your stomach? Are you perhaps breathing to your chest? Haha yeah that looks like a little weird but I don't think it's gonna affect that much but it's definitely not optimal because it is wasting energy that you could be using moving the bar.
    Last edited by SSDino; 04-30-2017 at 06:38 AM.

I was wondering about my lower back it does seem a bit excessive. Yes I'm breathing into my chest a bit, it's hard to breathe deep holding the bar. Maybe I need to lift my chest more?

Maybe tighten my glutes?

Forgot to add the link: Squat 555 Gym PR and 225x5 Press - YouTube. I think Michael Wolf's back is also hyperextended here, but he knows a lot more than me and he seems to think it's fine.

I think if you are gonna think about lifting your chest up it's just gonna cause more extension. Try to not breath into your chest and breath into your balls instead and focus on getting rigid in your core. I see no reason you need to lift the bar to breath deep. Yes, squeeze your abs and glutes hard.

Hyperextended is an injury, Dino.

starting strength coach development program
    You understand what I mean at least What's the term I'm looking for?

I'll just blame the fact that english is my second language, heeh