starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift form check - thanks!

Default Deadlift form check - thanks!

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    200kg x1 @8 HG: 30.4.17 200kg x1 @8 HG - YouTube
    Set 1 of 3 175kg x5 @8.5 HG: 30.4.2017 Set 1 of 3 175kg x5 @8.5 HG - YouTube
    Set 3 of 3 175kg x5 @9 Wraps: 30.4.2017 Set 3 of 3 175kg x5 @9 Wraps - YouTube

Sorry for the side angle, too many people in the gym to do 45 degrees, so at least you get a bar path.

You could tell that was heavy, the form broke down on that one rep max. What's your opinion on using belts when you lift that heavy?

It looks like on those sets (Why are you doing multiple sets?) of 175 kg form is also breaking down: your losing thoracic extension. Perhaps using more chest up could help that. Hopefully someone with more experience can give you better pointers. Good luck!

Your set up looks good until you drop your hips in place of squeezing your chest up.

Reread the 5 steps to the deadlift set up, follow it precisely and that should sort you out.

I historically never trained with belts, but will start to as weights are exceeding levels pre-disc herniations. I have had a hard time finding a good belt here in Switzerland, so I ordered one from Bobs Belts but that is taking a while to get here.

Quote Originally Posted by Dujin View Post
    Your set up looks good until you drop your hips in place of squeezing your chest up.

Reread the 5 steps to the deadlift set up, follow it precisely and that should sort you out.
    Will do. It feels like my lats arent doing any work. Is that incorrect?

Quote Originally Posted by pshotsb17 View Post
    Will do. It feels like my lats arent doing any work. Is that incorrect?
    Not necessarily, just because you don't feel a muscle doesn't mean it isn't working. In this case though you need to do a better job of actively contracting the muscles. "Chest up", "chest to the wall", and "bend the bar" can all be useful cues for this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dujin View Post
    Not necessarily, just because you don't feel a muscle doesn't mean it isn't working. In this case though you need to do a better job of actively contracting the muscles. "Chest up", "chest to the wall", and "bend the bar" can all be useful cues for this.
    Thanks. I think I need to pay most attention to not dropping my hips when squeezing my chest up. I never realised how much my hips actually dropped.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by pshotsb17 View Post
    In this particular video it looks as if you're pushing the bar slightly forward with your shins during setup. When I compare the center of the bar it looks like it's starting closer to your toes than mid-foot. If I'm right it looks like the problem is marginal. I could also be completely wrong, it may be the angle, but thought I'd mention.