starting strength gym

Thread: where does the flab go?

Default where does the flab go?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    No video, just a question on hook grip. Should one strive to keep that flabby pad of skin on the meat of their hand on "top" of the bar as in a double overhand grip? Or is it okay to mash it in after setting the thumbs and wrapping the rest of the hand around?
    Last edited by Chris Lippke; 05-04-2017 at 08:38 AM.

For me, the bar sits lower in my fingers when hooking, there's actually a gap directly above the bar.

The pressure is on my thumb and first two fingers mostly. The meat of my hand is not compressed or pinched at all.

YMMV, I have long fingers.

Yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Lippke View Post
    Should one strive to keep that flabby pad of skin on the meat of their hand on "top" of the bar as in a double overhand grip?

Update:

I've been using the hook grip exclusively lately (playing with finger/thumb/flab positioning), and when I jam the bar deep in the thumb fold and wrap my hand tight as a mofo, the flab finds its own way and I just don't have to worry about it anymore. I'm also able to get the tip of my index finger slightly over the thumb joint, so it feels solid AF. So far, no skin folding or callouses. All the pressure is on the finger/thumb interaction like you said, cwd.

I don't allow for any gap, cwd, and it seems to work okay (for me, for now).
    I jam the flab, AtlantaDave, and it seems to work okay (for me, for now).
    Thanks for the input from you both.

I think I read your question as a question about DOH. To which my original answer stands. As to your real question, about hook grip, I agree with your post above. Sorry for that confusion.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDave View Post
    I think I read your question as a question about DOH. To which my original answer stands.
    We are in agreement on this as well. Thanks!