starting strength gym

Thread: Squat 1st attempt

Default Squat 1st attempt

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I just transitioned from SL to SS, so decided to reset at a low weight to avoid hurting myself. I was up to 180 using high bar squats, so did a trial run of low bar with 95 today.

I know the FAQ says not to post lighter weight form requests, but I can't help but think it'd be good to get the form down before hitting heavy (for me) weights and developing bad habits.

My lower back and shoulders are sore after today's sets, this last set felt pretty good stability wise, but any advice would be appreciated. Shoulders definitely need to change somehow, whether it's a flexibility or technique issue, I'm not sure.

Squat check 95 - YouTube

Welcome to the forums!

I'll address the biggest things now, saving further refinement for follow on form checks.

Slow down and make each rep more deliberate. You're able to throw the weight around because it is so light. Cut your depth off when the crease of your hip is just below the top of your knee. Make sure you are bracing in between each rep (look up valsalva). Lastly, find some shoes. Preferably weightlifting shoes, but flats are better than nothing!!

If you haven't done so already, buy the book, read the book and follow the book!! Lift, eat, sleep, and repeat!!

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Franklin View Post
    Welcome to the forums!

I'll address the biggest things now, saving further refinement for follow on form checks.

Slow down and make each rep more deliberate. You're able to throw the weight around because it is so light. Cut your depth off when the crease of your hip is just below the top of your knee. Make sure you are bracing in between each rep (look up valsalva). Lastly, find some shoes. Preferably weightlifting shoes, but flats are better than nothing!!

If you haven't done so already, buy the book, read the book and follow the book!! Lift, eat, sleep, and repeat!!
    I'm reading the book now, it's just a lot to implement at once so I just wanted to make sure I'm at least in the ballpark.

I appreciate the advice, I'll keep it in mind and be back in awhile with a heavier set.