starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift Form Check - 495 3x3

Default Deadlift Form Check - 495 3x3

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    On week 9/9 of my program. Topping out with 3 triples @ 495. I didn't record all sets. Looks like i need some more upper back tightness and also my reps are inconsistent. The bar placement seems to go forward ever so slightly on my foot. I can see the bar correcting it self to mid-foot.

does that sound right? Any other thoughts!

Thanks all!

495x3:

As you said, looks like the bar starts out a little too far from your shins, then you pull it back in line once it leaves the floor. Try starting with the bar over the knot of your shoelaces (1" from your shins when standing normally). Other than that, maybe slow down the setup a little and try to generate more tension against the bar before pulling.

Thanks! I was thinking the same thing. Almost even looks a little like I'm yanking it off the floor. That should also help with my upper back.

You are yanking it off of the floor.

strong pulls though man.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Mcguirty View Post
    Thanks! I was thinking the same thing. Almost even looks a little like I'm yanking it off the floor. That should also help with my upper back.
    I don't think your upper back ever gets fully set. Look 10-15 feet away while squeezing your back into position, not 4-5 feet away. Think about rotating your chest through so your nipples are pointing at the wall (they won't, just think of that as the cue).

Is your belt tight? Both when standing and getting into position it looks like there is a small amount of dead space between back and belt. Your low back looks good so not real important but might help.

Love the in the back lookin like a sad puppy at your heavy pulls.

starting strength coach development program
    Looking good and strong! Just going to jump on the bandwagon... the bar starts out a bit far forward. Even though it may be correcting itself, you're lifting more weight than you have to for the first few inches of travel. I can see air between the bar and your shins when you start.