starting strength gym

Thread: 355x5 stall/failed 2nd retry

Default 355x5 stall/failed 2nd retry

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Ive had 1 reset. One at 325. I started adding a light mid day at this point but still adding 5 lbs 2x a week till 345. After my 3rd attempt i hit the 345x3x5. The following week i starting following the PP book about doing a single heavy 1x5 and 2 back of sets of 5. This got me till 355.

I have attached 350x1x5 I completed. Then my failed 355 and lastly my 2nd failed 355x1x5. I gave up after the 4th because I felt like my form was gonna break down big time. I feel like I'm starting to look more up right then i was 2 weeks ago. I would really appriciate input on form.

I eat 3800 calories, sleep 7.5 hours, 5'10", 215 lbs, 32 YO

Sorry for the setback angle, my gym racks are very narrow.

350x1x5
    5/11 350x5 - Google Drive

355x1x3
    MVI_0013.MOV - Google Drive

355x1x4 5-18-2017
    MVI_0018.MOV - Google Drive

I'd say you look a bit too vertical but more importantly your hips don't go back enough on descent and on ascent your quads are taking the load instead of your hips.

Brodie Butland is offline Starting Strength Coach
    Consigliere

I only watched the 355x4 video, and I only needed two reps to see the problem. Your back is definitely too vertical, and then you stop driving the hips partway up and instead try to leg press the weight.

I think you know what you need to do here. Lean over more (sit back, tits to the floor), and don't stop driving the hips.

Brodie,

Is my understanding of your recommendation to the OP correct: to keep the bar path vertical and over the midfoot, the OP needs to both sit back more as well as lean over more. I'm asking because it appears that, at least on the decent, the op has a pretty good vertical bar path, but at the same time it appears his back is too vertical. Also, were these squats to depth?

Thanks OP for posting and congrats on the successful LP!

Karl

Quote Originally Posted by IcePack View Post
    Brodie,

Is my understanding of your recommendation to the OP correct: to keep the bar path vertical and over the midfoot, the OP needs to both sit back more as well as lean over more. I'm asking because it appears that, at least on the decent, the op has a pretty good vertical bar path, but at the same time it appears his back is too vertical. Also, were these squats to depth?

Karl
    That was my interpretation. Here's one way to look at it that I think may help illustrate his point:

Let's assume the bar path is currently vertical. If the OP's only adjustment is more forward lean, then the bar will end up forward of mid foot. If his only adjustment is pulling the hips back more, then the bar will end up behind mid foot. The two adjustments together will allow better force production, but even each other out in terms of what each, by itself, would do to bar path.

Consigliere

Quote Originally Posted by IcePack View Post
    Brodie,

Karl

Generally right, but with a correction. I'm not particularly concerned about whether the bar path is vertical or not...the bar path can be perfectly vertical with erroneous mechanics (which is the issue we have here).

Rather, I'm concerned that OP's back needs to become more horizontal to allow hip drive to take place. Sitting back and leaning over are cues I am recommending for this purpose--I'm offering both cues because some people respond differently...usually "lean over/tits to the floor" is more effective, but I had a trainee a couple weeks ago who didn't respond well to that cue, but responded well to "sit back."

As for depth, the frame is directly in the way of the hip crease, so I really don't know for sure. If I had to guess, I'd say the first was high, the second was to depth, and the last two were borderline.

Quote Originally Posted by Brodie Butland View Post
    Generally right, but with a correction. I'm not particularly concerned about whether the bar path is vertical or not...the bar path can be perfectly vertical with erroneous mechanics (which is the issue we have here).

Rather, I'm concerned that OP's back needs to become more horizontal to allow hip drive to take place. Sitting back and leaning over are cues I am recommending for this purpose--I'm offering both cues because some people respond differently...usually "lean over/tits to the floor" is more effective, but I had a trainee a couple weeks ago who didn't respond well to that cue, but responded well to "sit back."

As for depth, the frame is directly in the way of the hip crease, so I really don't know for sure. If I had to guess, I'd say the first was high, the second was to depth, and the last two were borderline.
    Thank you so much for this input. I will work on leaning over more and making sure i've hit depth on Sundays workout. I will make corrections and update with a video.

Consigliere

Quote Originally Posted by Ultarnr75 View Post
    Thank you so much for this input. I will work on leaning over more and making sure i've hit depth on Sundays workout. I will make corrections and update with a video.
    Coo coo...hopefully I'll remember to stop by to look at it. FWIW, your back angle is better in the 350 video (still needs a little more lean, but it's much closer to the model), and your hip drive is much better...you don't start trying to raise the chest after the "sticking point" like you do in the 355. So on your next go, try to channel your 350 hip drive and force yourself to bend over.

I know...easier said than done when you have a really heavy object on your back and that's about all you can think about from the second you walk out.

Good run on LP, by the way.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Brodie Butland View Post

Brodie, Thanks for the reply. That's helpful