starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Will someone please help me correct my girlfriend's powerclean

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Completely agreed. The PCs also seemed a bit too heavy. Because when the 1RM isnt high to start with, and add to that doing power movements that have only a fraction of strength exercises´ 1RM, the own bodyweight still is a sizable portion of the total weight needed. Often the case with women. [For the same reason phenomenon of vastly different loading also shows with unilateral exercises - tricky using a lot of additional weight for strong people, easy preparation for the not so strong.]

So ofc when someone like Chebass (with a 600lbs + DL) imagines himself doing dumbbell jumps its a completely different story with additional weight needed than for Theseahawk´s girlfriend. And he finds it dangerous, unstable, tiresome, etc. for him when its perfectly fine for our trainee here.
    Last edited by Marenghi; 05-23-2017 at 09:23 AM.

Thanks people. It's something for her to think about. I'll let her know, but I think she will be determined to continue with the powercleans as she enjoys them despite struggling with technique. I'll suggest that she backs off the weight a little and starts hook gripping and rotating the arms internally. Hopefully that will lead to a better rack (there's a double entendres there that I'm sure will have been used before).

Quote Originally Posted by Marenghi View Post
    Completely agreed. The PCs also seemed a bit too heavy. Because when the 1RM isnt high to start with, and add to that doing power movements that have only a fraction of strength exercises´ 1RM, the own bodyweight still is a sizable portion of the total weight needed. Often the case with women. [For the same reason phenomenon of vastly different loading also shows with unilateral exercises - tricky using a lot of additional weight for strong people, easy preparation for the not so strong.]

So ofc when someone like Chebass (with a 600lbs + DL) imagines himself doing dumbbell jumps its a completely different story with additional weight needed than for Theseahawk´s girlfriend. And he finds it dangerous, unstable, tiresome, etc. for him when its perfectly fine for our trainee here.
    Actually, I see the horseshit form that constitutes a trapbar deadlift in most gyms, and imagined the awesomeness of combining that with a jump. It has nothing to do with my own lifts.

The clean/snatch pulls / high pulls are a great idea. All the benefits of the power clean without the need to catch it on the shoulders.

I believe your observations. As so often, its probably not the exercise´s fault: Trapbar deadlifts are and seem very easy technically. So theyre used by anyone with minimal to no instruction ("Hey, I can jump - and I can hold something in my hands!") by people who may never have been taught to squat or deadlift correctly in the first place. Compare that to people who are taught power snatches...
    Last edited by Marenghi; 05-24-2017 at 07:34 AM.

You may want to post a deadlift form check. I don't see much evidence of bracing or squeeze here...

Ok. Greg R. It's volume powersnatches for her today. Deadlift on Tuesday after her volume squat and bench so I'll get it then. Thank you.

Here is her deadlift cheryl deadlifting 93 kg - YouTube

It is 93 kg (204.6 lb) for three at a bodyweight of 73 kg (160.6 lb).

The set was done after squatting 75 kg (165 lb) for six sets of 3 and bench pressing 39.5 kg (86.9 lb) for six sets of three so was starting to fatigue.

Thanks

See how her body and hips start moving up before the bar? That needs to be eliminated. You can see her low back slightly rounding more and more until she misses. The upper back rounding may be natural or it may be that she could squeeze up more (but is less of a concern).

I would stop the cleans until she can properly set her back (power transfer is not going to happen). Light DLs are OK during that session to work on form. Try the cue of "feel the weight in your hands" before breaking the bar off the floor.

starting strength coach development program
    Okay, thanks. I'll let her know. I'll get her to do light deadlifts instead of powercleans. She will be pleased, I think she is getting annoyed with powercleans. Not sure about snatches now.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12