starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 455x1 & 365x5x4 Deadlift form check

Default 455x1 & 365x5x4 Deadlift form check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello everyone! I've been working on my deadlift form (flatter back) and I'd love some feedback from those more experienced.

Sorry, the video has a couple of warmup reps in there and I think my best lifts are the last, because I got rid of the belt. Tell me if you agree and what else you'd change.

Thanks!

You consistently drop your hips in your setup. When you go to "pull," your hips rise and your back rounds. Keep your hips high in your setup.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Franklin View Post
    You consistently drop your hips in your setup. When you go to "pull," your hips rise and your back rounds. Keep your hips high in your setup.
    I'm assuming you're referring to the 455 single? I tried to go slow on it to maintain back tightness and it looks like the hips rise/back rounds in slow motion (ha!). Thanks, I'll pay more attention to that more next time.

Anyone else? Anything else? I'm really hoping people can spot things I'm not seeing.

Your feet should be inside your hands.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Your feet should be inside your hands.
    Hah, cute!

=*-*=*-*=*-*=*-*=*-*=*-*=*-*=*-*=*-*=*-*=*-*=*-*=*-*=*-*=*-*=*-*=*-*=*-*=*-*=*-*=*-*=*-*=*-*=*-*=*-*=*-*=*-*=

Anyway, apparently I'm not as flexible as I thought. Even though I can touch my toes, it's mostly due to the flexibility in my spine. I had my wife watch me do a test, where I put a broom handle against my back, so that it touches my lower spine, upper back and head. It was hard for me to bend over far before my spine would start to flex. I reviewed some of my RDL video's and although my spine is relatively flat, it's definitely not what it should be.

I've started doing daily stretches to stretch out the hamstrings. Tried several different techniques with my wife, but as soon as my hamstring range of motion stopped the lower back started to compensate. I couldn't help it, just couldn't keep it in check. However, doing one leg bird stretch (also referred to as drinking bird and other names) allowed me to stretch out a single leg, while flexing the spine and keeping it perfectly neutral, without even trying. Perfect!

So I'll do 5-10 sets of those per day of 5-10 seconds per leg. Hope to have a much better form video after a few weeks or months. Fingers crossed

I see rounding in most of them. Whoever is telling you they're good on the camera there is wrong and if they know it they are lying to you. Nice work getting to those weights but I think you've got some form issues to work out.

Quote Originally Posted by BBB View Post
    Hah, cute!

=*-*=*-*=*-*=*-*=*-*=*-*=*-*=*-*=*-*=*-*=*-*=*-*=*-*=*-*=*-*=*-*=*-*=*-*=*-*=*-*=*-*=*-*=*-*=*-*=*-*=*-*=*-*=

Anyway, apparently I'm not as flexible as I thought. Even though I can touch my toes, it's mostly due to the flexibility in my spine. I had my wife watch me do a test, where I put a broom handle against my back, so that it touches my lower spine, upper back and head. It was hard for me to bend over far before my spine would start to flex. I reviewed some of my RDL video's and although my spine is relatively flat, it's definitely not what it should be.

I've started doing daily stretches to stretch out the hamstrings. Tried several different techniques with my wife, but as soon as my hamstring range of motion stopped the lower back started to compensate. I couldn't help it, just couldn't keep it in check. However, doing one leg bird stretch (also referred to as drinking bird and other names) allowed me to stretch out a single leg, while flexing the spine and keeping it perfectly neutral, without even trying. Perfect!

So I'll do 5-10 sets of those per day of 5-10 seconds per leg. Hope to have a much better form video after a few weeks or months. Fingers crossed
    I agree with Adam that your hips are too low and they get lower as your do your sets. It also looks like your tend to move forward onto your toes. So you need to rock back onto the midfoot and then think about shifting your weight back toward the wall more as you pull.

Why do you think hamstring flexibility, really extensibility, has to do with anything?

starting strength coach development program
    BBB, make sure you only listen to advice from SS Coaches, Satch12879 is a Fraud that doesn't even train anymore.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast