starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 455x1 & 365x5x4 Deadlift form check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    BBB, you have form problems, not hamstring problems. All the hamstring stretching in the world is not going to fix your back rounding.

Quote Originally Posted by Leah Lutz View Post
    I agree with Adam that your hips are too low and they get lower as your do your sets. It also looks like your tend to move forward onto your toes. So you need to rock back onto the midfoot and then think about shifting your weight back toward the wall more as you pull.
    I've been studying the vids, think I'm dropping the hips in order to give myself 'room' to flatten out the back(??). Trying to address it, but it'll be slow progress.

Can you tell me where you see me moving forward to my toes? That should be an easy problem to address. Thanks Leah, big fan of yours... I think in a recent SS podcast you mentioned going into strength training full time - congrats and good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Greg_R View Post
    BBB, you have form problems, not hamstring problems. All the hamstring stretching in the world is not going to fix your back rounding.
    You're right, I have form problems, that's why I'm here

Can you elaborate though? I feel like I can't 'unkink' my back because of the lack of mobility/flexibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Meshuggah View Post
    BBB, make sure you only listen to advice from SS Coaches, Satch12879 is a Fraud that doesn't even train anymore.
    Lol, thanks - nice name

I agree with Adam that your hips are too low and they get lower as your do your sets. It also looks like your tend to move forward onto your toes. So you need to rock back onto the midfoot and then think about shifting your weight back toward the wall more as you pull.
    This is why I actually like pulling in WL shoes with heel. I feel a little forward, and it helps me cue to stay over mind foot. I think the back has a slight round but it obviously is working for you, who knows. could just be your build. nice pulls

Quote Originally Posted by BBB View Post

Can you elaborate though? I feel like I can't 'unkink' my back because of the lack of mobility/flexibility.
    If your back straightens, how does that impact the hamstrings?

The "squeeze" into position is not going to be comfortable. Follow the DL setup procedure. You may benefit from the superman exercises outlined in the book.

Quote Originally Posted by BBB View Post
    I've been studying the vids, think I'm dropping the hips in order to give myself 'room' to flatten out the back(??). Trying to address it, but it'll be slow progress.

Can you tell me where you see me moving forward to my toes? That should be an easy problem to address. Thanks Leah, big fan of yours... I think in a recent SS podcast you mentioned going into strength training full time - congrats and good luck!

Thanks, B! I appreciate that, and I have happily moved into almost full time coaching with part time teaching now. I love it!

It's not that you're on your toes per se but you tend to shift your body weight forward too much. I can see it more in your 2nd set ( but wifi is crappy ATM).

I'd work on
    setting up with your hips higher
    Shove your knees out hard
    Chest up/back set
    Rock back onto your midfoot (or lift your big toe to feel this)
    Pull
    Shift back to the wall after the bar breaks

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks, B! I appreciate that, and I have happily moved into almost full time coaching with part time teaching now. I love it!

It's not that you're on your toes per se but you tend to shift your body weight forward too much. I can see it more in your 2nd set ( but wifi is crappy ATM).

I'd work on
    setting up with your hips higher
    Shove your knees out hard
    Chest up/back set
    Rock back onto your midfoot (or lift your big toe to feel this)
    Pull
    Shift back to the wall after the bar breaks
    Leah, thanks for the advice

Have been working on it... still a bit hit/miss, especially on volume, but hopefully it's getting better. Thoughts?

Sorry about the camera angle

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12