starting strength gym

Thread: Squat - Form Check - Please and thank you

Default Squat - Form Check - Please and thank you

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    An absolute newbie here and to the lifting world (started a couple of months ago with a barbell). I've been weak and fat all my life. Would appreciate any and every bit of help. Please and thank you. Here's the squat video:

Squat - First video - newbie

Hello, good on you brother and welcome.

So I'm thinking of some different things that I think would be beneficial for you to fix, very much so in the long run. First of all this is a high bar squat, it actually doesn't look too bad, but it's not a low bar squat. If you want to do what SS recommends I'd suggest you re-read the squat section, lower the bar on your back and lean forward when you squat to make it more horizontal. These are some pointers I think of when watching your squat:

1. Take your grip on the bar before you move under the bar. It's very hard to get a correct grip on the bar as you're doing now.
    2. You are coming onto your toes a little bit at the bottom, try to focus on having the weight distributed over the center of your foot. Perhaps if you think a little bit more "from the heels" that would help. Also shoes with a heel would most likely help you with this too.
    3. The bar is too high when you take it out. You tip-toe the weights to get it out a little bit and very much so at the end. This is Dangerous with heavy weights.

Other than that I think that you're doing a good job on these reps. I think it's worth to mention that you stop a little bit unecessarily at the bottom, and you can also work on getting a little bit deeper. GL!
    Last edited by SSDino; 05-21-2017 at 02:42 AM.

Thank you, Kind Sir. Very grateful to you for your time and detailed feedback. I am going to work on your advice - read the SS low bar squat again and again alongwith watching the videos by Coach Rip, going to focus on your feet advice, not tip-toeing, not stopping at the bottom and will go a little bit deeper.

Again, I am very thankful and appreciate the kindness. Could you, please very kindly, check my other video, especially the BenchPress one when you have a second, please and thank you. Here are the links to both of them:

Bench press Form Check - Please!

Barbell Row - Form check - kindly!

Quote Originally Posted by Kindness View Post
    An absolute newbie here and to the lifting world (started a couple of months ago with a barbell). I've been weak and fat all my life. Would appreciate any and every bit of help. Please and thank you. Here's the squat video:

Squat - First video - newbie
    Ditto what SSDino said, but wanted to add that your knees are traveling too far forward. Think about pushing your ass back more.

Thank you very much. Your kindness is much appreciated. Could you please, very kindly, check my bench press video and share your advice. Please and thank you.
    Bench press Form Check - Please!