starting strength gym

Thread: Bench press Form Check - Please!

Default Bench press Form Check - Please!

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Just started a few weeks ago, kindly check my form. I will appreciate all the kindness, thanks

Bench Press First Video

Please and thank you. Your kindness will be very much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Kindness View Post
    Just started a few weeks ago, kindly check my form. I will appreciate all the kindness, thanks

Bench Press First Video
    There's a lot I'd change here, but to start with, you need to work on the basics:

- Your grip is too wide and your elbows are flaring too much. This is terrible for your shoulders. Take a narrower grip and try to make sure the elbows are closer to the body.
    - You're touching the bar in about the right place, but your forearm angle is wrong due to the wide grip. When you bench your elbows should be just SLIGHTLY in front of the bar.
    - You're balancing the weight over the J-hooks, creating an unnecessary moment arm (see pics below, for a visual)

Fix these first and we'll go from there.

Stealing these from: Bench Press Form: Wide Grip vs. Narrow, Arched Back vs. Flat | PowerliftingToWin

No moment arm, proper starting position:

Moment arm, bad starting position:

Thank you so very much. I truly appreciate your kindness. I will try to improve and post another video for your feedback. Again, thank you.

As BBB indicated you are keeping the weight over the bar hooks at the top of each rep and while this may seem safer to the untrained person it's actually quite dangerous. When you begun to really struggle with the weight of you clip one of those hooks on the way up it could turn out very disastrous.

If there is a power rack available with safety pins I'd recommend using that. Set the safety pins so that when you arch your back the bar will touch your chest but not the pins but if you flatten your back and exhale the pins catch the bar before it will smash your chest. If you can't set the safety pins to a position that satisfies both then you've got to make a compromise on either one or get your chest up higher.