starting strength gym

Thread: Sqat help. Things still don't feel right

Default Squat help. Things still don't feel right

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I've posted a video before on my squat: Squat form check SS LP - YouTube
    And was advised to try TUBOW.
    Since then I've been working on my form (trying to get my knees out, and breaking at the hips and the knees at the same time).
    This is how things look now, it still doesn't feel comfortable, my low back seems to be overextending as i descend and then setting back to neutral at the bottom, plus my torso looks too vertical
    (I also tweaked my back from going too heavy while working on the techinque so the weight is down)
    Squat 230x3x5 #3 - YouTube
    Squat 230x3x5 #2 - YouTube
    Squat 230x3x5 #1 - YouTube
    Thank you for finding the time to go through posts like this, this forum is a rare source of information for us in Serbia.
    Last edited by Jankovic; 05-26-2017 at 06:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jankovic View Post
    I've posted a video before on my squat: Squat form check SS LP - YouTube
    my low back seems to be overextending as i descend and then setting back to neutral at the bottom, plus my torso looks too vertical
    This is exactly what it looks like you're doing. Bend over more, stay tighter throughout the lift.

Tuck your junk under your ass as you near the bottom. You've got a bit of forward hump.

Also, too vertical.

Jankovic, make sure you only listen to advice from SS Coaches, Satch12879 is a Fraud that doesn't even train anymore.

I think everybody can give feedback. If we were to wait only for ss coaches it would take a loong time.
    Last edited by SSDino; 05-27-2017 at 12:37 AM. Reason: Spelling

reygunz Guest

Take what I have to say with a grain of salt. I have a similar problem with my squats that I'm currently working on.

Watch your knees. They are in motion for the entire duration of the lift. Set them in place in the first 1/3 - 1/2 of the decent and then reach back with the hips. This should take care of any spinal flexion also assuming your bracing hard at the beginning of the lift. I'm currently using TUBOW which is helping my squat immensely. I use it for my warmup sets and work sets. Give it a shot.

Get yourself some shoes too.

Thanks for the feedback, I tried again today and here is how it went
    120kg 3rd set - YouTube
    To me it looks like maybe the second and third reps look a little better, unfortunately shoes aren't an option for me as they are not available here and shiping costs plus the price itself would cripple my student budget.

starting strength coach development program
    Here's yesterdays workout, with an atempt at a front quarter angle.
    122.5 kg 2nd set - YouTube
    122.5 3rd set - YouTube
    Seems like i cut too much depth on some of the reps on the 3rd set. I'm still working on finding my balance while trying to lean over more.
    Also from the front my knees appear to be caving in on the way up, any advice?