starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift form check

Default Deadlift form check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey all,

I have attempted 105 kg x 5 for three workouts. Only the first rep looked good and the others had a severely rounded back or just wouldn't leave the floor. So I bumped it down to 90 kg and went up from there again. Last workout was 97.5 kg x5. Here's the video:

*On the first rep, I sip out air accidentally. It feels like I'm not doing the valsalva correct. When I pull, my cheeks swelled up and I had to sip out some air.
    *I had to pause before the fifth rep, hamstrings were on fire. I also see that the bar path is around the knees on that rep, a result of setting the bar down too close to the shins?

I have high hips and almost horizontal back angle, but I think this is the correct starting position for my anthropometry. My low back has to work hard to stay in position, and this set felt very heavy. I'm worried I'll reach 105 kg again and still round my back. I'm considering to start using a belt so I can brace better and stabilize my abs and back.

I'm also having troubles with asymmetry in the squat, and I think the lack of progress in the squat just means I have to progress slower in the deadlift.

Not too bad, actually. Make sure you stand all the way up and lock out. Squeeze just a little harder. Don't move your head around so much.

Don't really have much to add other than if the valsalva is giving you trouble try holding your air in with your mouth open. Grit your teeth. That should basically teach you the "right spot" to hold your air (in your throat not your mouth)