starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Form Check

Default Squat Form Check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Squat Form Check - YouTube
    A little background on me. 32 years old. 6ft tall 215lbs. Started at 90lbs on squat about 12 weeks ago. Had to reset once when I felt my form going to crap. This is today's last set at 230lbs. I feel okay during the lift but after watching I feel like my chest is rising a little early. I squat with heels about shoulder width with toes at about 35 or 40 degrees. I apologize for the poor footage. Of it is unacceptable I will try to take another video next session.

Stop looking at your toes. Look 5ft away.

based on this camera angle, your depth is iffy on several reps, and definitely high on R5. Setting the camera around hip height would provide a better angle to for this determination.

I'm not sure if this makes sense, but it is hard for me to tell if I am hitting depth without filming. Are there any cues or indications to help you know when you hit depth or does it just come with experience?
    Last edited by l'enfant sauvage; 06-16-2017 at 11:43 PM.

Experience. If you have someone who can watch you squat, and who knows how to judge depth properly, they can call it out in real time. If not, just keep watching your videos after each set to see how they look compared to how they feel.

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks Dave. Would you guys recommend dropping the weight on the bar down a bit? Maybe to 205 or 215 to make sure I'm hitting depth before going up on weight or just continue on my current progression while focusing on depth?