starting strength gym

Thread: press technique

Default press technique

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi - I'm wondering if someone could critique my form on the press. When I watch the video, I feel like the bar should be going in a straighter path.. I'm not sure if I'm bringing it too far back at the top or not, and unsure of how to fix it. I also think I should probably lower the weight on the bar, and that I may be able to fix the problem that way. But the reason I'm posting is to see what exactly is wrong, and if it's as wrong as I think it is. Lol. Thank you!!

Video here: Press - YouTube

From this angle, it appears your elbows could be slightly more in front of the bar at setup, than they currently are. Elbows behind the bar send it up in front of you when you press, rather than vertically. The latter is ideal.

But you keep everything tight quite well, and your lockout/shrug looks fine to me. I'd be reluctant to take weight off the bar given no major form issues other than the elbows at setup.

Lol you should help the poor fella who is attempting to press next to you.

Get your elbows a touch more forward at the bottom (the bar may not end up resting on your clavicle) and the bar is slightly too far back at the top. Hip rebound could be improved but focus on fixing the bar path and elbows first. Cues: elbows forward, neutral wrists. Get them right before each rep.

Another vote for elbows forward and if the wrists are bent back it's likely that you are gripping the bar straight across your palm instead of using the grip described in the book and one of Jordan Feigenbaum's articles on this site (I think it was called Gripping Matters.) This combined with not much head/hip movement in your press makes me err towards the bar looping around your face more than it's going back too far at the top of the press.

Prioritize grip and elbows first, then work on keeping your head back as you press/getting better hip movement to get your head out of the bar's path.

Quote Originally Posted by BGish1984 View Post
    This. Actually the very first thought that went through my head was "Am I supposed to be looking at the girl or the guy in the background? Because the girl's form is pretty good, but the guy in the background definitely needs help!"

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by BGish1984 View Post
    "Attempting" might be a bit of a stretch... even his pushups were shallow...