starting strength gym

Thread: Squat form check (day 1) - 132 lbs

Default Squat form check (day 1) - 132 lbs

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Started today . . . thanks for any help/advice (including things related to camera setup, etc.). I'll try to do better with my camera setup in the future.

This is the second set of 3x5 @ 132 lbs. Training log is here - Curls and Abs, baby! Curls and Abs!

Your back angle is too vertical. Think "point nipples at the floor" when you start to squat. Shove your knees out harder from the start of the squat. Drive your butt up out of the bottom position.

Great, thanks for the input!

I worked on my back angle and knees this morning and it 'felt' better, but no video (probably no more video until Saturday's workout). I also noticed both today and last session that I feel a bit like like I'm trying to balance on an air mattress. I suspect this is equal parts weakness and crappy shoes, the latter of which is easily resolved so I will try to get that taken care of this week.

It looks like you're breaking the knees first. Try breaking the knees and hips at the same time. Also, a side angle would confirm this, but it looks like the bar path isn't staying over the middle of the foot during the movement. It looks like as you go down the weight moves on to your toes, and then you use your back to get it back to the starting position over the middle of the foot. As Rips says in the book, try imagining the weight is actually sitting on the bottom of your back, on your hips, instead of on your upper back.

Default Squat Form Check - 138x5

Thanks for the help! Here's my 3rd set from this morning.

Obviously I fail horribly at counting to 5 (you can see the wheels spinning in my head after #5), but these *felt* so much better - I didn't feel like I was fighting 'flexibility' for depth (I'm aware that it has nothing at all to do with flexibility). Still need to work harder at pushing my knees out.

On my first 2 sets, I could feel the weight in my heels, and it looks here like maybe I have overcompensated a bit. Also, maybe too relaxed in my lower back at the bottom (although it didn't really feel that way during the lift)?. Still a long way to go, I know . . .

New shoes should arrive today.