starting strength gym

Thread: Technique Check

Default Technique Check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I started the program in October, but was injured in February. I restarted last month and am finding that it is coming back quicker.

I am 6'3" 168lb. I am taking in about 3000 cal/day.

Squat- 145lb. I put two sets on here
    Press- 75 lb.
    Deadlift- 160lb.

Any comments or help would be appreciated. Thank you for your help.

Was your injury lifting/strength related? If so, what was it?

Squat looks ok from what I can see with the camera angle. Rep 4/5 look a touch high. Work on getting you knees out a bit wider and earlier. Shoot from rear @ 45 degree angle next time.

Your doing a stiff legged deadlift instead of a regular deadlift. Your tall and probably have pretty big feet. Make sure you know where mid foot is as it looks like your setting up too close to your shins. You may want to try a stance with your feet closer together as you look a little wide. You not setting you back as the final step in the process either. Result is your way out in front of the bar and your doing all the lifting from your back from a near vertical shin angle start point. Your going to (a) stop making progress and/or (b) get hurt.

A visit to a SSC would get you sorted on DL in no time.

Thank you for your advice- I really appreciate it.

I got injured during training because my deadlift form was wrong. I was rounding my back and it caused a strain in one of the muscles in my hip/groin because of the way it affected my pull. Fortunately, I was able to do rehab and return about a month ago. I started filming all of my workouts as a result of this injury, that way I can review them in real time and correct them to the best of my limited knowledge and then share if I have form questions.

I am curious about deadlift. I keep the bar "one inch from the shin" like the SS book says, but since my feet are pretty big, it seemed like the bar was resting a bit to far toward the heel. Moving the bar forward should solve the vertical shin problem once I bring my shin to the more forward bar. When you say 'setting your back' what do you recommend? I have been pushing my chest up as a final step before lifting and then trying to keep a straight back throughout the lift.

Wish I could visit a SSC, but most are too far to travel and a bit too expensive for my situation right now, though I am saving for it. I don't even have a SS coach within 100 miles that I could visit for a personal training session because that would be super helpful.

Again, I appreciate the advice. I am glad the squat looks okay. I have been busting my butt trying to get the form right and it has come a million miles from where it was when I started.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyworkout View Post
    I have been pushing my chest up as a final step before lifting.
    This is what I mean. The forward nature of your position may be hindering seeing the effect. When I do this I like to think about trying to get my shoulders to touch my hips by bending the bar around my shins. It should be very uncomfortable just before you pull. Just be sure your not dropping your hips when you do it.

Hello,

re: Press

the camera work doesn't help, but pay attention to the way you grip the bar. It looks like you use the default 'fingers square to the bar' grip, which is not ideal. For a better one, see from 1:55 in this video:

How to Overhead Press With Mark Rippetoe | The Art of Manliness - YouTube

Hope it helps.

IPB

starting strength coach development program
    I need to mention that 3,000 calories a day isn't enough as a novice. At 6'3" 168 you'll stall pretty quickly. I'd shoot for 4,000. Big sandwiches washed down with whole milk are your best friend here since they're easy to prepare and provide a good balance of protein, carbs, fats, veggies, fiber etc. Also gaining weight with nutrient dense foods made several of my little nagging injuries disappear, and it's likely to do the same for you.