starting strength gym

Thread: First ever power snatch

Default First ever power snatch

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Take a look. A bit of arm bend, perhaps. And yes, need to work on getting that upper back flat. Is my neck over-extended?

Fun doing these. Catch position feels comfortable, but this is only 30kg.

Thanks for looking.

Hi there,

not bad for being the first time. A few things to look for, IMHO:

- your back is not really straight when you start. I personally find it easier to lock my back in place if mu hips are a little lower
    - there's quite a bit or arm bend, especially on first and third rep. Trust your pull. Locking the triceps might also help.
    - there is a bit of a break between the first pull and the second. It's like you take the bar over the knees, then you have to change the program in your brain to complete the lift. Practice will make this go away. Staying over the bar longer will help.
    - You wrists are really bent over at lockout. Maybe excessively so.
    - Lock overhead first, then raise. You are doing both at the same time, finishing the lock (in particular, swinging the bar backwards) and raising. I personally think it's better to lock first, staying in the crouched receiving position a little longer, and then raise, once the bar is solidly overhead.
    - Last but not least: more speed after you launch the bar, more aggro in your stomp. More speed solves everything, always.

Hope this helps.

IPB

Quote Originally Posted by IlPrincipeBrutto View Post
    Hi there,

not bad for being the first time. A few things to look for, IMHO:

- your back is not really straight when you start. I personally find it easier to lock my back in place if mu hips are a little lower
    - there's quite a bit or arm bend, especially on first and third rep. Trust your pull. Locking the triceps might also help.
    - there is a bit of a break between the first pull and the second. It's like you take the bar over the knees, then you have to change the program in your brain to complete the lift. Practice will make this go away. Staying over the bar longer will help.
    - You wrists are really bent over at lockout. Maybe excessively so.
    - Lock overhead first, then raise. You are doing both at the same time, finishing the lock (in particular, swinging the bar backwards) and raising. I personally think it's better to lock first, staying in the crouched receiving position a little longer, and then raise, once the bar is solidly overhead.
    - Last but not least: more speed after you launch the bar, more aggro in your stomp. More speed solves everything, always.

Hope this helps.

IPB
    All good points, thanks!