starting strength gym

Thread: Mock meet 22.06

Default Mock meet 22.06

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I decided to test powerlifts this week to find out where I'm standing. Here is a video; perhaps angles are not the best. I would appreciate any comments regarding technique! My main concern is that my friend accused me of hitching on the last deadlift attempt, which - I believe - was legit.

Nice lifts!

Yeah, there was ramping on the last deadlift.

Squat depth and knee slide?

Quote Originally Posted by manveer View Post
    Nice lifts!

Yeah, there was ramping on the last deadlift.
    Agree. And you need to keep your hands on the bar all the way to the floor. And while you stood up completely in your last DL, I'm not sure you had full lock out for all of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Satch12879 View Post
    He was deep enough and knee slide isn't a red light. Pretty sure that's what he was asking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Satch12879 View Post
    Ignore this clown, OP. The last thing he posted in his training log is this... "Done with this shit. It's been real, guys."

Thanks for watching! I really appreciate your taking the time to help me there.

I think that Satch suggested that I go too deep and the shift in position at the bottom causes the knee slide. However, I feel like I need to go so deep to reach parallel depth. On one hand I can't go any deeper, on the other - I noticed, once I stopped video at the bottom - I'm barely at parallel angle. Am I imagining things? Perhaps I have strange body proportions.

I didn't lockout 220, I believe that subsequent attempts were good in this regard. Anyway, that would be easiest to fix, strength at lockout is by no means a limiting factor.

As for hitching; I was really surprised when my friend said this, I didn't do this intentionally. I felt like I locked out the weight normally, in one pull. Didn't feel any weight resting on my thighs as well. I got a cue from another lifter to "pull the weight back on myself" more - and perhaps following this cue made me go like this.

As far as your squats, you are letting your knees shoot forward and allowing yourself to relax at the bottom. This is indeed a poor habit to let go unchecked, and you are notably below parallel. You need to get your knees set forward about 1/3 of the way down and then hold them there.

And it's those unintentional, unexpected things in our movements that pop up or become pronounced on max attempts.

starting strength coach development program
    Ok, rewinded once again and saw this - when I descend into the hole, knees shoot forward aggressively. Curiously enough, they move very little in the first part of the eccentric portion of the movement. Do you think I should force them forward more when initiating the descent? Cutting a tiny bit of depth would also help, I reckon. I wonder if squatting to a box would help both issues simultaneously.

I relax hips a little to get a fluent bounce; as for bracing my stomach and upper back, I think it is the strongest link of my squat.

By the way, I really liked your recent article! Especially how you described the weights impacting personality in the long run. I can certainly identify with the thought that training makes lifters more inner-directed.