starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Squat Check: Meet the Ugly

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I would drop down to at least 225
    Ahhhh, you're breaking my heart, MOON!!! I've been pretty comfortable at 245 for a while now, but that doesn't change the fact that this looks awkward as hell with the form changes I made. I'll deload to 205 and do a few more lighter days and see if I can't figure out whats going on with my grip. I guess we all have to go through these frustrating stages, but damn is it killing me.

You can see in these videos that your best rep is usually the first of the set because you take your time to get into position. After that you speed through the next four, and I think that is what's causing a lot of the breakdown.
    I think I've always squatted like this. Just banging them out really quickly, but this is the first time I've seen form breakdown this bad. I remember feeling my grip slipping gradually throughout the lift, you can see it especially in the video of the third set. I'll try out your suggestion, but I think my grip will slip more the longer I'm under the bar. Hopefully perfecting my grip will fix the form breakdown and I can take longer rest between reps.

I did also raised the bar height ~2 inches, which requires more leg strength. It's possible my legs are just weak. Deloading should allow my legs to catch up. If that is a problem I'm having.

Also forgot to thank you for the input. Thanks MOON!

Hey misspelledDino. Thanks for the input! I agree that is way too much butt wink. With the form changes I added, my muscles feel more relaxed at the bottom of the squat. I don't know really know what body part is giving way. I did strain my back about a month ago. Maybe I've been squatting with loose erectors to avoid pain and that's translating over even with a healthy back.

Whatever the case, since I'm going to deload like MOON3 suggested; I'll use that chance to figure out the butt wink.

You aren't using the valsalva maneuver. You gotta take in a big breath of air and then bear down the entire rep. Push your hips back more. You should read rip's article on controlling the lower back. I do believe it'd help you immensely.

Hey Matt, thanks for the advice! I'll give the valsalva maneuver a try today. Hopefully that will help with the lumbar flexion.

You should read rip's article on controlling the lower back.
    Are you talking about "Squat Mechanics: A Clarification" article? I have that open in my browser, but I don't think I've gotten around to reading it yet. I'll do that before today's session! Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by deludeddrummer View Post
    Hey Matt, thanks for the advice! I'll give the valsalva maneuver a try today. Hopefully that will help with the lumbar flexion.

Are you talking about "Squat Mechanics: A Clarification" article? I have that open in my browser, but I don't think I've gotten around to reading it yet. I'll do that before today's session! Thanks again
    The Most Important Thing You Will Ever Learn About Lifting Weights | Mark Rippetoe

starting strength coach development program
    Ahhhh, thanks! I'll give both a read before today's session

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12