starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squat Check: Meet the Ugly

Default Squat Check: Meet the Ugly

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    So I started SS about a month and a half ago and I'm pretty sure my form was alright. I've lifted before, but the gyms always had mirrors so I knew when I was making mistakes. The gym I use now is barren of mirrors. Probably because it's a mma/crossfit gym and they don't want shattering glass. I hadn't recorded myself before and didn't think to until a few weeks into the progression. Turns out as I was increasing my squat, I was reducing depth. I've been working on it for about a week now and it looks better, but still has a long way to go. Anyways, here's the Ugly!

Here's 285 before I realized how screwed I'd made my squat:

I might be an idiot, but I wasn't ego-lifting. I thought I was following the LP, but clearly, I was not...

I've been recording myself ever since and I'll post a few videos from different angles. Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

Here's some footage from my next training session 6/16. This is 225 from the front. Depth looks good to me. I look like I'm favoring my left side a little bit. But that could be the camera angle. I can see that my wrists are bent. Do you guys think the bar is too low or should I straighten out my wrists and keep the bar at this height?

Last edited by deludeddrummer; 06-23-2017 at 11:54 AM.

This one's from the same day. It's 265 at what I think is good depth (except the second rep). The more I watch it my entry to the bottom of the squat looks weird. I'm coming forward through my knees. Should I break at the knees more when I descend? My torso is coming down to low. If anyone knows why that is, that would solve a lot of my problems.

265 was pretty heavy and you can see a few good mornings towards the end.

This is from my training session on 6/19. I was focusing on getting my elbows back and my wrists straight on this one. I start out fine, but I quickly break at the wrists. I started this one with nipples pointing towards the floor and it felt weird, but I think it helped my back angle. I was hopeful for the head angle, but I immediately craned my neck back as soon as I started the lift.

Should I keep my nipples pointing down towards the floor for the entire lift? I keep locking out at the top and I'm not sure if that's proper technique with LBSquats.
    Last edited by deludeddrummer; 06-23-2017 at 11:58 AM. Reason: The date was wrong

Just read this forum's guidelines. These were my last sets from their respective days (except the 225lbs). I'll try to get a higher vantage point of all three working sets in my next session. Not sure if there's anything in that gym that'll work though.

1) It's kind of hard to critique 4 different videos, each at a different weight, each at different angles, etc. Stack some boxes up, use benches, etc. to get the right vantage point.

The first video, you're missing depth by a lot. The weight is too heavy and you're not shoving out your knees hard enough.
    The second video is the best form-wise, probably because the weight is light for you. The bar looks too low, can't tell bc of camera angle. Probly slides down bc of your grip. Get your elbows and chest up. Keep the wrists straight.
    The third you're not shoving your knees out hard enough (notice the pattern?) Take a deep breath in between reps and hold it, stay tight.
    The fourth, see you CAN get the right camera angle. Several things wrong here. One, start every rep in full extension, both hips and knees. I.e. Stand up, don't lean over like that. Two, again, your not shoving knees out hard enough, which is probably contributing the the lumbar flexion you're experiencing (SS, pg. 42) Three, don't pause at the bottom. Just come back up like you did in the rest of the videos.

So, fix your setup. Re-read the chapter in SS regarding setup. Do your squat w/o the bar and shove your knees out with your elbows. Memorize that position and take it to the bar.

Hey Dlk,

Thanks for the tips! I'll try to implement your suggestions in my next workout.

Yeah, I read the forum suggestions after posting the videos. I figured multiple angles would give the most info, but I can see how comparing multiple back diagonal angles would be more useful. I'm doing a session tomorrow, so I'll get 3 videos of 245 from the back-diagonal perspective. Unless I see my form break down, then I'll wait until I practice it more.

Default Followup Form Check: Squats 3x5x245

Here are my follow up videos. I included the links under the embedded videos, just in case. All are at 245 lbs. Let me know what you guys think!

Set 1:
    Accidentally set up too far back in the first set.

Squat245x5-20170717-1 - YouTube

Set 2:

Squat245x5-20170717-2 - YouTube

Set 3:

Squat245x5-20170717-3 - YouTube

You still have very bad lumbar flexion at the bottom. See how your butt tucks at the bottom? Don't let your butt do that. You are letting something go loose (hamstrings, erectors, something) to have that happen. Loose is not good.

starting strength coach development program
    I think you've moved up too fast with the weights. I would drop down to at least 225 and really hammer that form. I think you should also focus on counting to two at the top of each rep. You can see in these videos that your best rep is usually the first of the set because you take your time to get into position. After that you speed through the next four, and I think that is what's causing a lot of the breakdown.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast