starting strength gym

Thread: Beginner Squat form check

Default Beginner Squat form check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Took longer than usual to setup in this video. Actual squat start at 0.22 sec.

I am recently breaking at my hip first to avoid vertical back angle. Had pain in the femur-groin area due to my past vertical back angle squats. Please let me know if my form is ok in this video.

Last edited by krish05; 06-24-2017 at 07:58 PM. Reason: Video issue

Stop breaking at hips first. You know what your back angle should feel like now, so break at hips and knees at the same time.

You could stand to brace your torso harder too.

Next time film from 45 degrees at the rear. I can't see how your stance is in relation to the knee angle (the likely culprit for groin pain NOT back angle), where the bar is on your back, how your hands are positioned etc. Read the sticky in the staff coaches Q and A.

1. MOST IMPORTANTLY: You're going to have to stop breaking at the hips first and break at the knees and the hips at the same time, or you'll run into other problems. You're knees need to get out a lot sooner and stay there a little longer.
    2. Also, stay TIGHT at the bottom and stay with your hips for as long as you can.

Thanks for tips. Will incorporate them.

Squat stand at my gym has thicker rails and it might hide my joints if taken at 45 deg angles. Anyways let me try next time.

I will start working on breaking my knee & hip together. Do I need to keep my lumbar extended like described in the book until I reach the top?

Thanks for your inputs.

Your lumbar's natural anatomical position is in extension, and it should be held as such throughout the entire movement. Just don't over correct or else you might lift the chest to early and kill your hip drive. Just think straight and rigid.

starting strength coach development program
    Your stance is very narrow and your knees are pointed forward.
    I would widen your stance and point your feet out a bit more. This will help engage your posterior better over the quad dominated narrow setup you have.

If you can I would look up the TUBOW method. This will help you visually see in real time how far to set your knee during the 1st part of the decent and maintaining till back out of the hole.

How to use the TUBOW with Jayson Ball and Noah Millstein | On the Platform - YouTube