starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: squat form check 80kg/176lbs

Default squat form check 80kg/176lbs

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello,

I've been stuck with my form for a long time now and I don't know how to improve it. I hope you could give me some tips, thanks!

EDIT: removed embedded video because it didn't work.

VID 20170626 104404 - YouTube

It's also hard to focus when you see yourself in the mirror. I'm changing gyms soon when I move to a one that has no mirror in front of the squat racks...

Narrow your stance and turn your toes out more. You're a little shy on depth and narrowing your stance may help.

Next, don't stare in the mirror, fix your gaze on the floor in front of the mirror and keep it there for the whole set. If you can prop a mat in front of the mirror, that may help.

Next, you're too upright, so from the very top of the rep, commit to pointing your chest/nipples at the floor. You could also think about shoving your hips back to achieve the same result.

If you can achieve a more horizontal back angle, this will enable you to engage your hips. Currently, you're leading with your chest on the ascent. Hip drive, sir!

So:
    1. Bring in your stance/turn out your toes
    2. Eyes at the floor
    3. Descent: point your chest to the floor
    4. Ascent: drive your hips all the way to the top

(Also, get some squat shoes)

Quote Originally Posted by Mia Inman View Post
    Narrow your stance and turn your toes out more. You're a little shy on depth and narrowing your stance may help.

Next, don't stare in the mirror, fix your gaze on the floor in front of the mirror and keep it there for the whole set. If you can prop a mat in front of the mirror, that may help.

Next, you're too upright, so from the very top of the rep, commit to pointing your chest/nipples at the floor. You could also think about shoving your hips back to achieve the same result.

If you can achieve a more horizontal back angle, this will enable you to engage your hips. Currently, you're leading with your chest on the ascent. Hip drive, sir!

So:
    1. Bring in your stance/turn out your toes
    2. Eyes at the floor
    3. Descent: point your chest to the floor
    4. Ascent: drive your hips all the way to the top

(Also, get some squat shoes)
    I have Adidas Power Perfect II -shoes but I recently switched to Chuck Taylors because I felt like I was falling forward. I thought it was because of how I was built but maybe it's just the stance. I'll try what you said on monday and get it on film. Thanks, it was helpful!

If you feel like you're falling forward think about sitting back into your hips.

The Master Cue could also be useful - just think about keeping the bar over the midfoot as you descend/ascend.

My chest keeps collapsing and I lost some tightness so I used crappy belt from the gym. I was focusing on my back angle and hip drive and I narrowed down my stance. It looks for me when I squat that I have toes out more but obviously I don't. Thoughts?

squat - YouTube

That looks considerably better. Nice work!

Yes, I think your toes need to be turned out a little more.

Also, keep working on that tightness/bracing. Sometimes we get tight at the top, then forget to stay tight as we focus on the rest of the squat. So, HOLD your torso tight as you descend.

Thanks Mia, I'll keep workin on that. Tried to point out toes out more today but realized from the vid that I had too wide stand so I couldn't use my hips properly. I thouht it was because of my toes were pointed out too much. So nothin new on my squat.

Here's my set of OHP if you, or anyone, could watch it and rate it, please.
    VID 20170712 101244 - YouTube

5th rep - that awful feeling when you get halfway up and realize, nope, it's just not going to go.... Experienced that a few times myself....

Minor issue with setup: I think your elbows are under the bar. They should be just ahead of the bar, so that the back of your forearms are vertical. It's a little hard to tell from this angle.

Larger issue is with your hip bounce: You're tending to move your hips back and then forward to the original position. This is incorrect.

Instead, from that original position, drive/bounce them forward into the wall of tension you've created down the front of your body. Squeeze your abs and quads so tight they're almost cramping. Squeeze your armpits tight, so that your triceps are pinned against your lats. Now, bounce your hips forward into that tension. As you do this, your upper body (and the bar) will drop slightly.

If you are sufficiently tight, when you bounce into that wall of tension, your hips will HAVE to come back. As your hips come back, your upper body (and the bar) will come back up. Use that upward momentum to help drive the bar up.

Hips go FORWARD-AND-BACK.

Bar goes DOWN-AND-UP.

(Note: the bar does not go down independently of your torso. Your arms should be squeezed in tight to your torso until you start to press up.)

You could also think BOUNCE-AND-PRESS.

Take a look at the following video as this may help: The Press | Brent Carter

Let me know if you have any questions.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mia Inman View Post
    Instead, from that original position, drive/bounce them forward into the wall of tension you've created down the front of your body. Squeeze your abs and quads so tight they're almost cramping. Squeeze your armpits tight, so that your triceps are pinned against your lats. Now, bounce your hips forward into that tension. As you do this, your upper body (and the bar) will drop slightly.

If you are sufficiently tight, when you bounce into that wall of tension, your hips will HAVE to come back. As your hips come back, your upper body (and the bar) will come back up. Use that upward momentum to help drive the bar up.
    I think this part really helped me, thanks Mia. I've been struggling to find the right technique for the press (also). I'll try it the next time I press.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast