starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Squat Form Check – 255 lbs

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Squatted at a different rack today. Definitely helped with my setup. Focused on staying real tight...so much that I forgot to bounce at the bottom of my last rep and almost paused it. lol

Any feedback is much appreciated.

Yeah, those look better. You should try to be more consistent from rep to rep each one is just a little different (yes, this is hard to accomplish).

Your belt, is it one of those EFS belts with the plastic core?

That it is. Probably 6 years old now

275 3x5 felt nice n easy today until the end of the last set. On the last 2-3 reps, it felt like the bar was sliding up my back a little bit. What causes this? Elbows too high? Back not tight enough? Any cues or advice for this – or any other issues – are much appreciated.

This SSC article was an eye opener for me in terms of upper back tightness / thoracic extension. Check out the pictures to see just how subtle thoracic flexion can be. Also note the symptoms--bar movement on back, weight shifting towards toes.

Identifying and Correcting Thoracic Spinal Flexion in the Squat | Bill Hannon

Other than nailing the thoracic extension, these your squats look pretty good to me.

Quote Originally Posted by scott.myers View Post
    275 3x5 felt nice n easy today until the end of the last set. On the last 2-3 reps, it felt like the bar was sliding up my back a little bit. What causes this? Elbows too high? Back not tight enough? Any cues or advice for this – or any other issues – are much appreciated.

Last edited by misspelledDino; 07-17-2017 at 10:32 AM. Reason: Added link.

I will delve into that article and fix it. Only recently have I been paying attention to my upper back tightness. Guess I have a bit more learning & practicing to do there. Thanks for your help!!!

Quote Originally Posted by misspelledDino View Post
    This SSC article was an eye opener for me in terms of upper back tightness / thoracic extension. Check out the pictures to see just how subtle thoracic flexion can be. Also note the symptoms--bar movement on back, weight shifting towards toes.

Identifying and Correcting Thoracic Spinal Flexion in the Squat | Bill Hannon

Other than nailing the thoracic extension, these your squats look pretty good to me.

Scott, those are looking a lot better! On your last couple of reps, looks at what your elbows start doing - they pop up as you come out of the hole. This means your hold on the bar is shifting. I think this is a combination of fatigue and you're just starting to get used to the tighter upper back/grip thing. Just work on keeping them in place. Where do you train?

Right on! Thanks for all your help. Can definitely see my elbows shifting towards the end of the set. I train at Moore Health & Fitness in Monroe, Louisiana.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Illingworth View Post
    Scott, those are looking a lot better! On your last couple of reps, looks at what your elbows start doing - they pop up as you come out of the hole. This means your hold on the bar is shifting. I think this is a combination of fatigue and you're just starting to get used to the tighter upper back/grip thing. Just work on keeping them in place. Where do you train?

starting strength coach development program
    If you can get an in person session, it'll help a lot with these little things. Looks like Fort Worth may be the closest to you and I know John Janacek just opened up a new place there. In the meantime, keep filming yourself and checking the film between sets - I've found that helps me a lot. Post with any questions you have.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12