starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Form Check 140kg

Default Squat Form Check 140kg

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Instagram

focus on the second rep, where i failed. any pointers on what i can improve on ?
    also to mention, before this set i hit a balls to the wall 4 rep max, so it probably was not a good ideea to go for another set.

Not a great angle for the video and the lady is pretty good at getting in the way. Stop looking in the mirror, get your hips into the squat, get the bar a little lower on your back.

Next time ask that lady blocking your camera to spot one side of the bar while spotter guy gets the other, The squat uses two spotters.

Are you intentionally doing a high bar squat?

yup, high bar is intentional to strengthen my quads, plus it just feels more natural. when i first started i did low bar but after ramping it up to 115kg i hit a wall cuz my ass was shooting up and i turned everything into a good morning.
    also, sorry for the gal blocking the camera.. commercial gym

starting strength coach development program
    If you want to focus on your quads you should go deeper, you clearly didn't go as low as your mobility allows it. That way quads work through a longer range of motion. In general highbar and front squats are better done ATG (given right built and mobility) rather than just below paralel. Going as low as possible is the only way to get a stretch reflex or bounce out of the hole. You can't expect it in going just below paralel like in a lowbar squat. In lowbar squat posterior chain muscles are being massively stretched and you get a bounce in that position, it's a completely different story in highbar.

Also I'd point your elbows down, in highbar position the bar cannot slip down so o need to keep them up. Some people recommend imagining doing a behind the neck pulldown when teaching the highbar. That way you should have a relatively stable position, no stress on wrists, elbows, shoulders with strong isometric contraction in upper back.

You might get away with one spotter on a squat but make sure he's at least as strong as you, preferably stronger. Overally I recommend using power rack and safeties, if not possible use bumbers and bail out (unless doing lowbar). TBH it seemed like you just had no willingness to grind out this 2nd rep.

PS. In the future specify it's a highbar squat check. On this board by the squat we mean low bar back squat as described in the book.