starting strength gym

Thread: Squatpocalypse

Default Squatpocalypse

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Will try to make this short. I've been cutting since finishing the early intermediate phase about 5 months ago, when I reached 137.5kgx1.

Since then my strength has held up okish. A couple months ago I could still squat say, 115kg for sets of fahves.

Then I had a little tweak in my back while pulling. It was nothing dramatic but I feel it never really went away. (I can pull just fine now).

Since then my squat went to shit. I went for a heavy single recently (a day my back felt good) and I grinded a 120kg quarter squat. On a medium day I can manage 4 reps at 100kg and have to rerack because it already feels @toohigh.

It feels like I can't stay above the middle of my foot, as soon as it starts feeling heavy I tend to let my center of gravity get too forward. I don't know if it's due to the back pain or if it's the reason why the pain comes and goes (but doesn't go for good).

I tried all the cues. Your thoughts now. Below my 3rd and last set of 2 on heavy day. Today was an ok day, it's mostly the last rep of the last set that felt quite shite.

(PS: I apologise for the video quality and yes I'm getting a belt)

https://www.instagram.com/p/BWVHKPcFxAC/
    Last edited by kanahan; 07-09-2017 at 08:59 AM.

Let's try again with the link...

Instagram

Hello,

my 2c, and really it's not worth anything more; I don't usually comment on people's squat, apart from obvious depth problems, for a reason.
    What I think I see is that after your come out of the hole, you give the impression of trying to raise your elbows. The effect of this is that your wrist rotate as if closing the gas on a motorbike, and this in turn will cause the bar to ride up your back. Also, rotating the elbows up means your torso will bend a little. We are talking minimal movements, of course.

What I think you might try is to keep the elbows down, so that the wrists rotate as if opening the gas on a motorbike, thus making the bar riding down your back; and making it easier to keep the upper back arched.

Having said that, I think that such drastic level of deterioration in performance is never just a technique issue; the biggest cause is usually a high level of fatigue, brought about by too much work, or not enough recovery. And that includes food.

Hope this helps,

IPB

Nice spot and I'll keep it in mind. However I think that's not the whole story because I feel like I'm getting in front of my mid-foot on the way down...

It looks like you're holding the bar up with your arms (your wrists are under the bar) as opposed to pinning it against your back. I'd work on getting your grip a little narrower and tightening everything up. A belt ought to help, too.

Will try that too. I tend to do what you describe because of low shoulder flexibility (hence the high bar).

Keeps getting worse. 100kgx4x3 @~10
    Even though I stopped losing weight.

starting strength coach development program
    Post another video, let's see what has and hasn't changed.