starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Deadlift Check: Form failing, what to do?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by hullehulle View Post
    I think I did a little bit better this time, and it felt better too. Still having problems getting to the same position after the first couple of reps, but not so bad as last time.
    I don't think the "DONT LOWER YOUR HIPS!!" cue works for me as it is, and I'm trying to unlearn it to some degree.
    I agree - looks better, but still present to a lesser extent. I am not as "by the book" on this point as many people here. IMO the drawbacks to having your hips too high are greater than the drawbacks of having your hips too low. I do the same thing, which is probably why I noticed it.

I don't think these are awful. Once you set your back, think about leg pressing the floor. It helps me to keep my back set by using this cue instead of "dragging the bar up the legs."

Quote Originally Posted by manveer View Post
    I agree - looks better, but still present to a lesser extent. I am not as "by the book" on this point as many people here. IMO the drawbacks to having your hips too high are greater than the drawbacks of having your hips too low. I do the same thing, which is probably why I noticed it.
    Yeah, I feel that way too. For me the "an inch away from the bar" is also much more closer to my heel than my toes.
    Last two sessions I've been going more with the "bar over the middle of the foot" and it seems it's helping with the too high hips and seems like a better cue for me.

Quote Originally Posted by mattlifts View Post
    I don't think these are awful. Once you set your back, think about leg pressing the floor. It helps me to keep my back set by using this cue instead of "dragging the bar up the legs."
    Yeah, that's one more thing I've been trying to remember and each time I do, the weight feels so much lighter.

Thanks for both of your inputs. Can't wait for my next session and keep working at it!

Quote Originally Posted by hullehulle View Post
    Yeah, I feel that way too. For me the "an inch away from the bar" is also much more closer to my heel than my toes.
    Last two sessions I've been going more with the "bar over the middle of the foot" and it seems it's helping with the too high hips and seems like a better cue for me.
    You also could be under the illusion it's closer to your heel than your toes. An easy way to check this is to lean over and take a peek from the side. It'll tell ya if the bar is truly above your mid foot or not. Straight on from above can be deftly deceiving.

You may also find it better to turn your toes out more than you currently are. That was the biggest change my SSC (Matt Reynolds) made with my setup.

Quote Originally Posted by mattlifts View Post
    You also could be under the illusion it's closer to your heel than your toes. An easy way to check this is to lean over and take a peek from the side. It'll tell ya if the bar is truly above your mid foot or not. Straight on from above can be deftly deceiving.

You may also find it better to turn your toes out more than you currently are. That was the biggest change my SSC (Matt Reynolds) made with my setup.

Could be. I'll do some experiments on my next session.

starting strength coach development program
    The back was never fully in extension on the 4th and 5th reps again. There is no reason to see this. If it rounds when you break off the floor then you can blame fatigue. Think "nipples forward, balls back".

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12