starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squat Check 190lbs

Default Squat Check 190lbs

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I know i have quite a bit to work on when it comes to my low bar squat. I am 5 months out from knee surgery and during my rehab the focus was on a high bar squat. So i am trying to train myself to do otherwise. I am not sure if i am staying over my midfoot during my squat and if i am horizontal enough. Not sure if that is causing me to round my upper back as well. Welcome to any feedback.

Squat 190 - YouTube

Sidenote:
    I know I should have squat shoes but i live in a rural town in Canada and trying to go to the city to find a good affordable pair is tough. I would order some online but am worried about sizing issues. I will try to purchase some the next time i am in the city.

Your stance is too wide and your back is not being held in extension. Your low back rounds near the bottom and your upper back is never in extension. Tighten that up.

Rogue has a good return policy for exchanging for size issues.

Thanks for the feedback! Much appreciated!

With regards to the shoes. I typically wear a 11.5 in basketball shoes. Do you know what that would translate to for a lifting shoe? Also is there a certain brand and model that you would recommend?

I wear 14s and found that, at least for the Adidas PowerLift the size was equivalent. Gwyn Brookes has a quick blog article about shoes which might be helpful. I've had PowerLifts for about 6 years now and they're fine. I'm looking at replacing them as, between my bodyweight and my heavy work weights on squats/deads, I'm putting over 800 pounds on them and foam sole does compress at that weight. But, it's probably not an issue for a lot of people.

At the top of the rep, drop your elbows a bit and lift your chest. Take a big breath and bear down/brace your abs, and squeeze your armpits. Get as tight as you can and hold that as you do the rep.

Think proud chest as you descend (Note, this does not mean that your chest/back angle is vertical. Check the following article Identifying and Correcting Thoracic Spinal Flexion in the Squat | Bill Hannon). This should help with preventing your upper back from rounding.

When you set your back angle, do so by shoving your hips back (rather than bending over, which can send the bar forward of the midfoot). Shoving your hips back will effectively point your chest at the floor while keeping the bar over the midfoot.

I concur with Mr. Illingworth, I think your stance is a little wide. If you narrow it, that should also help to keep your knees out over your feet. Looks like they're drifting in a bit as you come back up.

You're also borderline on depth. Narrowing the stance may help with that also.

So:

1. Bring your stance in just a bit
    2. Drop elbows/lift chest at the top, then big breath and get tight
    3. Hips back to set the back angle.

If you still feel like you're struggling with keeping the bar over the midfoot, try The Master Cue. Just think about keeping the bar over the midfoot as you do the rep.

Great pointers. Thanks for the feedback and detail!

Here is a set from today. I think it looks a bit better. I really tried to focus on keeping my upper back tight, however i think it might have laxed a bit at some points. I am curious about how my bar position is. Is it too low? It feels like it might slip out if i had more weight on the bar. I found the "squeeze your armpits" part helpful. Any similar advice for keeping the lower back tight as well? Also should i be staying at the current weight now until my form gets better? Or should i deload and work my way back up?

Squat - YouTube

Well, you've tightened up your upper back, but you've picked up a couple of other issues.

From the top, you're overarching/overextending your spine, because you're trying to keep that part of your torso vertical as you start the rep. About 1/3 to 1/2 way down, you shift into flexion as you continue to the bottom of the rep.

On the way up, you're lifting your chest early in the ascent, and again, going into a little overextension.

This won't be good for your spinal health in the long run.

Remember, "proud chest" does not mean "vertical chest". Lift your chest slightly but don't arch your lower back. Then, "proud chest" -> pointed to the floor.

To keep your lower back tight, take a bigger breath, and crunch down as hard as you can. Squeeze every muscle as tight as you can, throughout your entire torso. This WILL be uncomfortable. If it's not uncomfortable, it's not tight enough. Then HOLD that tightness as you descend and come back up.

On the way back up, drive your hips up. Don't lift your chest or your chin. If your torso is tight, your hip drive will drive the bar up.

Lastly, drive your knees out just a little harder. You're still a little shy on depth, so make sure you get an inch or two deeper.

If you can't hit depth, deload and work back up. However, this doesn't look too heavy for you. I think you just have to commit to it.

So:
    1. Bigger breath, squeeze MUCH tighter and HOLD, as you
    2. Point your proud chest to the floor
    3. Drive the hips up/keep the chin down
    4. Knees out for an inch or two more of depth

Lastly, if the bar is slipping down your back, try it a little higher to begin with. Having said that, you could also try and find a sweet spot with the elbow position about halfway between your first video and your second. You may have dropped the elbows just a little too much the second go round.

I decided to do a couple lighter sets today. I know its NDTP but the only way to get good is through doing reps so I did some at 135 trying to focus on form. I hope i am closer to what it should be looking that way you aren't repeating yourself too much. Also i know depth is important but i am more concerned with my back form as i am worried about my spine. Once i know that my back is the way it's supposed to be i can then focus on depth.

July 15th Form Squat #1 - YouTube
    July 15th Form Squat 2 - YouTube

starting strength coach development program
    I watched the 2nd set. You get a bit loose in the lower back as the set progresses. Cue: Point your balls behind you. These are looking much better, good work!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast