starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squat Form Check 2

Default Squat Form Check 2

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Checking back in for a critique after my first form check video. My back felt better today, but I did decrease the weight and reps for these sets to see if I could get the form down. I did three separate sets to see how weight is impacting my form.

On my previous post I was told this:
    Your back is rounding because you aren't bracing... like at all that I can see. You just walk the bar out and start cranking out reps. You should be breathing and bracing between each rep. I don't think you're gonna be adding much weight any time soon squatting like this.

There's a crap ton of more stuff to note here but I'm not a coach. Slow it down, brace HARD between EACH rep, and repost.
    1. 135lbs x 5

My back is a little out of view on this set, but I adjusted the angle in the next 2 sets.

2. 185lbs x 5

3. 225lbs x 5

Still, why are you doing high bar squats? You may need to go see a Starting Strength coach.

I just ordered the Starting Strength book. I was directed here by Jordan Feigenbaum on Instagram to try to get my form critiqued. Hopefully once I get the book I can figure this out.

Bigstrength, are you intentionally doing high bar squats or are you trying to do low bar squats. Knowing the answer to this will help answer your questions.

I guess I was intentionally doing the high bar squat, but from doing some reading it sounds like I want to switch to the low bar. I'm new to Starting Strength, so thank you for bearing with me.

This helps. What you should do is, first, watch the squat video series from the Starting Strength YouTube channel. Once you've been through this, work on getting your squat into that pattern. Once you have that, get some video back up here and we can give you better feedback. Once the book gets to you, start reading it thoroughly, too. That'll help.

Thank you Jeff. I'll work on that in the coming weeks. I have also contacted a Starting Strength coach and will likely visit him to get further training.
    Last edited by bigstrength; 07-14-2017 at 09:22 AM. Reason: details

Hey, if you can swing it, get your session(s) in with the SS coach first. Speaking form lots of experience - it's easier to just learn them right from the beginning than to try and fix things after you've started. Generally, where are you located?

I am in Des Moines, IA for the next month finishing up an internship and then I'm back to Columbia, MO for college. I'm also in the Kansas City, MO area from time to time.

starting strength coach development program
    hey bigstrength, these are high bar squats. Jeff's given some good advice.

I'm not a SS coach yet, but I have a desire to be. If you're gonna be in KC soon, shoot me a message. I'd be happy to pass along some in person knowledge. Current SS coaches are in STL and Springfield. I can vouch for Matt Reynolds down in Springfield, as I went down for a day session with him. Good luck and hope to hear from you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast