starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Form check for beginner-175lbs

Default Form check for beginner-175lbs

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I've been working on the SS program for a couple of months now and even taken a few classes to help correct my form. I'm really struggling with my squat (deadlift too but that's a separate post) mainly on the way up and not balancing the bar over mid foot while keeping the bar verticals. I squared 175lbs for the first time today and have a link below. If you can offer some solid tips or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Info,
    155lbs BW

7/15/17-squat 165lbs - YouTube

Thanks!

Mike

Well, you don't really have any hip drive. Your knees are going too far forward and you are too upright. Get bent over earlier and keep your chest aimed at the floor until you are halfway back up. Stop looking up. Fix these, get some footage from the back 45 degrees and repost.

Thanks-very helpful tips. I'm definitely going to pause at 175 and try to get these issues nipped in the but. It's been an issue that's keeping me down too long.

I've taken the advice below, really tried to focus looking down (very hard to untrain btw), knees pointing out while driving up with hips. I have two new links posted below.

I'm still feeling like my form is off. I worked at 175lbs for the last 3 sessions and feel as though my depth is good (can see better from the side angle) but the weight is still winning at some reps. Not sure if I stall here (again today was my 3rd session at this weight), drop the weight, or increase to 180lbs on Saturdays session?

Any feedback and constructive advice from those that are quailfied to give it, would be very much appreciated!

7/20-squat 175lbs - YouTube

7/20 - squat back angle 175lbs - YouTube

Your knees are still coming too far forward. Try using a TUBOW to get used to stopping your knees at or a little past your toes. This will help keep you in your hips. Keep your head fixed. See how you often lift it? Keep it aimed in the same place the whole time.

Thanks very much for the feedback, I'm going to look into this technique on YouTube and see exactly how to execute. In the interim, is it safe / smart to increas to 180lbs or do I drop the weight and focus on these issues?

Well, if you were in the gym with me, we'd start your next training session like all the others with the exception of working to dial in the technique fixes from the beginning with your very first empty bar squat. We'd then continue to warm up, keeping focused on the technique and your work weight would be whatever weight you could do for a set of five with solid technique - be that 185 pounds, 300 pounds, 12 pounds, or whatever. Worry more about just doing it right than on any pre-planned work set weight.

If you don't have a coach standing there (and I mean a coach who knows and applies the Starting Strength system) then film every single set, including your empty bar warm ups, watch them them minute you are done, compare how they look to how they should look, and work to fix whatever needs fixin' on your next set.

The funny thing is, I took a few classes with a starting strength coach (not going to name names since they're very qualified and think they know they're work) and although they gave me criticism, they never told me my form was seriously off or tried to reset the weight and really focus on form. I was told to stop leaning forward, but that doesn't really help.

Maybe online coaching with a Starting Strength coach would be helpful. Sign up for a period of time and give it a try.

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast