starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Form check (noob)

Default Squat Form check (noob)

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi all,

Here are the videos of set #1 and #3 (after warm-up -- set #2 not recorded) of my latest training. I started 6 weeks ago, moving the Squat from 55kg to 76 kg today. (*)

Your feedback is most welcome.

Set #1: Squat -- Form Check 1 - YouTube
    Set #3: Squat Form Check 3 - YouTube

My own analysis :
    + Arms position OK
    + Head position OK in general, but a bit unstable at time
    + Knees out
    +/- Back angle roughly OK, but too unstable
    +/- Going too deep / Ass-to-grass Squat?
    - I over-flex my lower back / I do not keep the back straight and fixed.

If my analysis is correct, how to I best control my lower back? Engage the abs more? Work more on the lumbar muscles? Other cues?
    (DL is at 102.5 kg / 225 lbs. I think I also over-flex on the DL as my lower back hurts -- I do not have videos but I will record it!).

Many many thanks --

SB

(*) Please see separate post on about why the progress is relatively slow. I can only train twice a week and I de-loaded a bit to focus on technique / form. http://startingstrength.com/resource...me-deload.html

You are too loose from the begining to the end. Get set before you unrack and before each rep. You aren't holding the bar quite right, you do not have eniugh hip drive, and you are too deep in the hole. Your knees are caving in on the descent. Slow your drop.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Illingworth View Post
    ...You aren't holding the bar quite right, you do not have eniugh hip drive...
    Can you please elaborate on those two?
    Grip to wide? Elbows to high?
    I do (try to) push up from the hips, which I guess explains some of the lumbar over-flex.

Thanks.

Your grip looks ok. You are very loose, are bombing into the hole, and never drive your knees out. Get the knees over the toes early in th descent and keep them there. Slow your descent so it is more controlled...

As the guys said here you need to slow down when going down and stay tight. Side note though; find a bar in your gym that has knurling on the center. Extra friction on your back will provide more stability and safety.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg_R View Post
    Your grip looks ok. You are very loose, are bombing into the hole, and never drive your knees out. Get the knees over the toes early in th descent and keep them there. Slow your descent so it is more controlled...
    Thanks --

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Igor View Post
    As the guys said here you need to slow down when going down and stay tight. Side note though; find a bar in your gym that has knurling on the center. Extra friction on your back will provide more stability and safety.
    Thanks --
    Will check for new bar at the gym (no big hopes) --