starting strength gym

Thread: Bench press 115lbs form check

Default Bench press 115lbs form check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I had a slight pain in my right shoulder while benching today. It feels like a dull ache deep in the anterior part of my shoulder. I had this pain 2 months ago upon which I stopped benching and instead pressed every workout. The pain went away in a month's time so I returned to benching with a narrower grip and a stricter adherence to form. Today I felt the same pain again so I would appreciate it if you guys could take a look at my form.

trim D3CE7465 29D3 4CAE B37C 59F45A49AA09 - YouTube

Thanks a lot!

The bar is touching your chest too high which can impinge the shoulder joint. Your left forearm looks angled, it should be vertical under the bar at the bottom of the rep. You may need to widen your grip a bit.

Work on getting a better back arch and drive with your legs.

Thanks a lot! I'm still having a difficult time with the leg drive in the bench press. Till my pain subsides (it's lessened already to a considerable degree) would you suggest I press every workout instead of bench?

Do what Greg says. Get and stay tighter, stop wiggling around. Keep your shoulders back and against the bench.
    I would work on all of these suggestions startin with your empty bar warmup and see what happens first as opposed to stopping with the bench.

Quote Originally Posted by Crowvahkin View Post
    Thanks a lot! I'm still having a difficult time with the leg drive in the bench press. Till my pain subsides (it's lessened already to a considerable degree) would you suggest I press every workout instead of bench?
    A narrower grip bench press can reduce shoulder strain. It will be done at a lighter weight but is useful to make progress. However, if you can bench without pain then do that.

starting strength coach development program
    I saw you retract your scapula prior to benching, but then you give it all up by basically shooting your shoulders into the ceiling with the bar. Your arm needs to go through the range of motion, but the head of the humerus should stay planted with the scapula on the bench.