starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Am I cheating at the squat?

Default Am I cheating at the squat?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I'm trying to figure out why my presses are so shit, I'm 3 months in and my squat is at 115kg (253lbs) but my bench is only 57.5kg (126lbs) for 5, 2, 1. I weigh 71kg (156lbs).

I'm wondering if I'm cheating on my squats. I filmed my final set today and I'm not going as low as I thought I was, but am I going low enough? My flexibility isn't great and I've been working on it, my adductors are tight.

The camera angle is a bit crap because my work gym is narrow and cramped with equipment.

Any input appreciated.

YouTube

Your video is broken, but without watching it I can tell you that your adductors aren't "tight" and whoever told you that they are isn't qualified to give advice. Also it's very normal for some people to have a much stronger squat and deadlift than their bench and press. Repost a new video?

Still a 1:2 bench to squat ratio is something to be concern about unless you're built like an ape (very long arms and short legs).

The video link works for me, anyone else not able to view it?

Nobody told me that my adductors were tight. If I do a third world squat I can feel tension there that ruins my balance.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan1w View Post
    The video link works for me, anyone else not able to view it?
    Check the privacy settings on your video. I can't see it either.

Whoops, never put a video on youtube before. Should be sorted now.

Works for me. Probably the worst film.job ever. Between the distance, chopping off the upper body, the cardio machine in way, and the rack base obscuring your feet. Maybe this typing job is worse.

That being said, the weight is coming forward, your heels appear want to lift. You need to stop your knees from coming forward and sit back

The video is a terrible angle to be able to say anything about your squat, except that the depth looks fine to me. Not cheating. Can't tell much else.

Maybe you'd benefit from looking at your bench form as well. You probably aren't using any leg drive, most beginners don't and in general it is a lift that has a fair bit of technical nuance - probably second only to the squat in terms of the amount of different areas where less than perfect form can cause failed lifts.

I struggle with it too after over a year of consistent practice, I am one of those people with long arms which doesn't help. For some people it takes a bit of extra volume to get it moving too. I remember failing to bench 50kgs for five reps at one point.

Thanks for the feedback. Yeah, I had a personal trainer (not mine) tell me that I wasn't sitting far back enough into a bodyweight squat the other day, I just can't or I'll topple over so I'll carry on working on the flexibility whilst squatting.

With the bench, I've read tons on form. I actually seem to have been lifting too narrow but once I widened my grip it actually got harder. I think I was lifting 55 for 5x5 a year ago before a hiatus.

What is your bench now Ben?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan1w View Post
    What is your bench now Ben?
    Still shithouse

My all time 1RM is 75kg. 5RM about 65kg. But I weigh less than you (just crept up to 68kg) and have only been training properly about 12 months, plus I'm (based on appearances) a bit older than you (early 40s).

Not sure how tall you are; but just getting in before someone tells you to gain weight too. I'm sure that's coming.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast