starting strength gym

Thread: Bench Form Check - 300lbs x 1

Default Bench Form Check - 300lbs x 1

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Wanted to get my bench press form checked. This is a new PR and I had a few questions about it. I know that my heels aren't driving into the floor, but I feel that I can get a better arch when I'm on my toes. Is that alright or should I work on driving the heels in more? Any other critiques or pointers?

Also, I apologize, but it appears my cameraman didn't do the best job in the world.

There's nothing wrong with your feet per se. If you want more foot, get more foot. I would think you might want some blocks under your feet to help hold that arch.
    I would say you should get your thumbs around the bar.

Thanks Jeff. As for the thumbs is there a specific reason why? I've done a little reading and it sounded like most people said it came down to personal preference. I'll definitely give it a try on my next press day.

For safety. With thumbs around the bar is much less likely to slip out of your hands and guillotine you. Especially since you're benching without spotter arms and I have my doubts that bloke behind you will be able to catch 300lbs before it does any damage if it lands on the wrong spot.

Quote Originally Posted by bigstrength View Post
    Thanks Jeff. As for the thumbs is there a specific reason why? I've done a little reading and it sounded like most people said it came down to personal preference. I'll definitely give it a try on my next press day.
    Because dropping 300 pounds on your chest would kind of suck a little?

I wonder how many people that said they prefer thumbless grip are still benching today.

Quote Originally Posted by autumnal View Post
    I wonder how many people that said they prefer thumbless grip are still benching today.
    Lots.

Quote Originally Posted by manveer View Post
    Lots.
    I'm sure your right. In his under the bar for bench video, Rip gave a quick mention-- "The thumbless grip is used by some people, but it's terribly dangerous and I don't recommend it."

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by autumnal View Post
    I'm sure your right. In his under the bar for bench video, Rip gave a quick mention-- "The thumbless grip is used by some people, but it's terribly dangerous and I don't recommend it."
    I don't recommend it either, and I wouldn't spot someone using it.

OP, besides the thumbless grip, your grip width looks a little narrow. Elbows are also flared out, but I guess that's because this is a near-max effort single. A set of 5 would be better.

If you plan to compete, check your federation's rules for feet completely flat on the floor vs. just on your toes. The "suicide" grip is also illegal in most federations.