starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OHP form check 40kg/88lbs

Default OHP form check 40kg/88lbs

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    OHP 88 lbs - YouTube
    Lost balance on second rep but overall it felt pretty good.

Thoughts on form?

Hello,

IMHO, the start of the movement needs some tweaking. What you seem to be doing is moving your head/ shoulders back, while leaving the bar where it is. You are actually increasing the leverage, thus putting you in a disadvantageous position.
    If you want to use the hip rebound, the bar needs to move back with the shoulders; then, as you rebound, it moves forward and leaves the shoulders, going up.

Hope this helps,

IPB

Thanks. So I'll just bring the bar back with me as I push my hip forward? Does it look anything close to right otherwise?

Be ready to press from the time you unrack. Get everything tight, unrack, step back, set yourself, and then press - your a little too passive in this process. If your goal is the 2.0 press, you need to work on the timing of your hip snap and press. You have too much lag between the snap and the press. Get the bar back down quicker as the eccentric part of the lift will wear you out. Check out John Petrizzio's instagram, hus presses are real nice.

Thanks.

Be ready to press from the time you unrack. Get everything tight, unrack, step back, set yourself, and then press - your a little too passive in this process.
    I'm using squat rack's safety pins for pressing so I could be as tight as possible as I start pressing. I'll keep working on that tightness.

I think that pressing from the pins might make it harder to get set well as the bar can slide around. Going from the hooks allows you to press the bar into the rack as you get set. Not a big deal, but I think it might help.

Here's a set from yesterday.
    OHP 45kg - YouTube
    You guys think the bounce/timing is any better? Thanks!

Of the three, your second one was the best. I'd like to see this from the time you walk up to the bar in the rack. You're taking an awfully long time for each of these and it looks like you're kind of screwing around with your feet as the video starts. Push the bar back a little more from the beginning, too.

Overall, nice improvement from the last set you posted.

Thanks, Jeff! The time between the reps is so long because the weight is so heavy for me. Thus I have to focus on bracing 110% to get the weight up. Should I drop the weight a bit to reduce the time between reps?

starting strength coach development program
    Probably not. That being said, the longer you stand there holding something, the heavier it becomes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast