Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: squat form check- 235

Default squat form check- 235

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Any thoughts?

Good mornings - YouTube

should I have just racked it after the 4th rep?

i feel like I'm rapping on the door of advanced novice, does that seem right to you guys? this was the "friday" workout, and the last rep was a real grind. should i stall on the 15lb/week plan before I incorprorate a light day, or afterwards?

Is it normal for my dl to be stuck at 260 if I can squat 235 with form like this? I understand that there's a little knee slide on some of these, but on the whole I think they're pretty solid, very hip-dominant squats.

You are too upright and it looks like the bar is too high on your back (hard to be sure about the bar from this angle). Get more bent over at the very beginning - you're leading with your knees. lift your head a little bit more so your neck is more inline with the spine. Your head is too low and, probably, making you think you are getting bent over more than you are. That last rep you are very upright which is why it was harder.

Oh, and you would benefit from a belt.

I would not call these hip dominant squats.

From the top, you're breaking at the knees, but not pointing your chest to the floor/shoving your hips back. In fact, you don't even start to set your back angle until you're more than halfway down, at which point you're collapsing forward.

Think chest-to-the-floor from the very outset of the rep. At the start of the rep, your hips will go back and your knees will go forward and get set about 1/3 to 1/2-way down - this sets the back angle. Then you finish the descent by sitting back and down. Your knees should NOT MOVE during the bottom half of the rep. Concentrate on holding them in place. This will really help your hip drive.

At the bottom of the squat, you're going too deep, you're bouncing off your knees, and loosening up a bit. Stay tight throughout the rep

On the way back up, drive your hips straight up, don't drive your knees back. Your knees shouldn't too move until you're about halfway back up.

It also looks like the bar may be climbing up your back as you ascend. I can't tell if it starts in the low-bar position or not from this angle.

So:
    1. Get tighter. Much tighter, and HOLD it throughout.
    2. Knees forward-out/hips back/chest-floor from the top
    3. 1/3 to 1/2 way down, knees stop, sit back and down
    4. Think about bouncing off your hamstrings, not your knees and limit depth to 1" below parallel
    5. Keep those knees set as you drive your hips straight up

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Illingworth View Post
    You are too upright and it looks like the bar is too high on your back (hard to be sure about the bar from this angle). Get more bent over at the very beginning - you're leading with your knees. lift your head a little bit more so your neck is more inline with the spine. Your head is too low and, probably, making you think you are getting bent over more than you are. That last rep you are very upright which is why it was harder.

Oh, and you would benefit from a belt.

I probably should have mentioned that I have a shoulder injury and i can't do any squats that involve the thumb being on top of the barbell. I had a belt, but I an't fit into it any more.

So should I be doing PURE high-bar squats, with an almost completely upright back, until my rear delt is well enough to squat conventionally? What i was going for with these was a kind of compromise between high-bar and low-bar: more hip extension, but with the bar carried high on the back so as to preserve the very fragile left shoulder. Bad idea?

Quote Originally Posted by Mia Inman View Post
    I would not call these hip dominant squats.

From the top, you're breaking at the knees, but not pointing your chest to the floor/shoving your hips back. In fact, you don't even start to set your back angle until you're more than halfway down, at which point you're collapsing forward.

Think chest-to-the-floor from the very outset of the rep. At the start of the rep, your hips will go back and your knees will go forward and get set about 1/3 to 1/2-way down - this sets the back angle. Then you finish the descent by sitting back and down. Your knees should NOT MOVE during the bottom half of the rep. Concentrate on holding them in place. This will really help your hip drive.

At the bottom of the squat, you're going too deep, you're bouncing off your knees, and loosening up a bit. Stay tight throughout the rep

On the way back up, drive your hips straight up, don't drive your knees back. Your knees shouldn't too move until you're about halfway back up.

It also looks like the bar may be climbing up your back as you ascend. I can't tell if it starts in the low-bar position or not from this angle.

So:
    1. Get tighter. Much tighter, and HOLD it throughout.
    2. Knees forward-out/hips back/chest-floor from the top
    3. 1/3 to 1/2 way down, knees stop, sit back and down
    4. Think about bouncing off your hamstrings, not your knees and limit depth to 1" below parallel
    5. Keep those knees set as you drive your hips straight up

Good luck.
    this is very thorough, thank you.

how would you recommend somebody going acomodate for a damaged shoulder? is it high-bar or bust, until the shoulder heals? is it ieven safe to squat high bar for 15 heay sets a weak with only only 1.5 sets of DLs to compensate? or is there ANY kind of hybrid option that can be pursued here?

What is wrong with your shoulder?

It's kind of hard to say anything about whatever it is you're asking about with your deadlifts without a video.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Illingworth View Post
    What is wrong with your shoulder?

It's kind of hard to say anything about whatever it is you're asking about with your deadlifts without a video.
    I injured it in a fistfight that i dont remember very well. All i know at this point is that the bottom of the bench and the lockout of the press are intolerable. So is using the shoulder to trap the bar against my back on low bar squats

Edit: do you think i am endangering myself/my joints by temporarily squatting like this? If not, id really rather just get strong now and optimize form later
    Last edited by hostile; 07-21-2017 at 01:52 PM.

I'm pretty sure that if you are getting injured in fistfights that you do not remember well, you have bigger issues to solve than your lifting mechanics. That being said, I think you are going to be better off in the long term learning to do, and then doing, each lift correctly than you will be if you keep lifting and try to fix stuff later.

Quote Originally Posted by hostile View Post
    I injured it in a fistfight that i dont remember very well. All i know at this point is that the bottom of the bench and the lockout of the press are intolerable. So is using the shoulder to trap the bar against my back on low bar squats

Edit: do you think i am endangering myself/my joints by temporarily squatting like this? If not, id really rather just get strong now and optimize form later
    I'm looking at your video and the bar is touching your shoulder. What's the problem? I don't see a reason why the bar can't be a touch lower and your grip fixed. You may need to widen your grip. Look up the "low bar stretch", it's been helpful to people who are rehabbing shoulder issues. The press also helps.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg_R View Post
    I'm looking at your video and the bar is touching your shoulder. What's the problem? I don't see a reason why the bar can't be a touch lower and your grip fixed. You may need to widen your grip. Look up the "low bar stretch", it's been helpful to people who are rehabbing shoulder issues. The press also helps.
    Not sure what to tell you. I can't really understand why it's hard for you to believe that having the bar .75 inches lower on my back causes pain (and i'm even farther from understanding why you don't take my word on it). I don't think anything I can say to you on here will resolve your doubt.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast