starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My squat depth used to love me but now she's gone...

Default My squat depth used to love me but now she's gone...

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    The usual info

50-year old trainee, 200 lbs body weight give or take, just cut over from 5-day-a-week LP to HLM with slight deload to build momentum again. PR three weeks ago was 295 lbs x 4, this medium-day session is 240 lbs x 4 x 6.

Issue

I cannot for the life of me see what's gone wrong. I used to get depth, but now I feel the bounce but the squat would be red-lit for sure. If I get depth it's because my lumbar gets sloppy-loose and I feel the ache for days even at these lower weights.

Thanks!

Have you tried widening your stance?

Looks like you may be getting bound up in the bottom between your abdomen and thighs. First things I'd try are 1) what manveer said and 2) duck feet out a shade more so you can shove your knees out more

In addition to what these guys wrote, it looks like your knees come forward a bit instead of your ass/torso going down more. Do you have a before video?

Other options -

Weight related: have you video taped yourself with just an empty bar and/or during warmups? Do you reach proper depth?

Proprioception: Have you changed anything about your gym wardrobe? This may sound funny, but gym shorts still hanging at the same height as before and so on? :-D

Quote Originally Posted by mgilchrest View Post
    I'd try point 2 before 1. I think "knees out!!!" is sufficient here. Possible "master cue" afterwards, since there is a bit of knee/hip slide out of the hole.

I go back and forth on this notion. I can hit depth with the empty bar, but the mechanics are way different. If OP is hitting good depth at 135, then the mechanics should be pretty consistent from there up.

That being said, there is some utility in getting the hips a bit more warmed up with deep-as-possible squats with just the bar. How many empty bar warm up sets are you doing?
    I start the warm ups with ten reps with the bar, all paused for at least a two-second count. I did an (unreleased) video of an entire session end to end a few days ago. I'll check that video to see if I get depth on anything.

EDIT: Nope, even at 100 lbs and 145 lbs the depth isn't there - it's borderline at best.even at the lighter weight. I get depth at 220 (belted) then miss at 240 work sets.
    Last edited by I_iz_a_fatass; 07-24-2017 at 06:55 AM. Reason: Added video check results

+1. At 47 I find it takes an annoyingly large amount of warmup to actually warmup.
    Quote Originally Posted by mgilchrest View Post
    When squatting, I find I have a much better session with 2, sometimes 3 sets of empty bar fun. And a set or two at 95lbs as well. It sucks.

Here's what my completely untrained eye sees:

Looks like everything is setup right but about 2/3 the way into your squat, your knees should be set and not slide any further forward. Set the knees and try to sit back more. What seems to be happening is the deeper you get into the squat, the more your knees slide forward, and the harder it is to get your hip crease to that target position just below the top of your patella.

Best luck training...

Quote Originally Posted by misspelledDino View Post
    +1. At 47 I find it takes an annoyingly large amount of warmup to actually warmup.
    +2. At 35 my hips and back will tell me to fuck off if I don't do at least 2 sets no bar, 2 sets empty bar, 40kgs, 60kgs.

Your elbows are cranked way too much which could lead to rounding of the upper back as well as the bar rolling up the back. Just an FYI

starting strength coach development program
    Well, crap.

Nothing is hitting depth, including unweighted squats. Doesn't matter how wide I set my feet, belted or not, nor the foot angle. Damned near every one is above parallel.

Ten unweighted at the end of the session shows it the best.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast